This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Purchasing Avios points and redeeming on short flights can be cheaper than buying a ticket. Yesterday I posted how I redeemed only 7,500 Avios points for a one way coach ticket that was selling for $350.
On a side note, I hope you enjoyed the guest post from my friend Alex yesterday on his review of the W Minneapolis. He has an addiction to travel and has the resources (points and miles) to go to some pretty cool places at the drop of a dime (or mile).
Back to British Airways Avios points. Today I received an email from British Airways offering me the option to purchase Avios points with a 25% bonus. It turns out I would have still been better off having purchased the points rather than just buying the ticket.
- A one way ticket was pricing out at $350.
Purchase & Redeem Points
- I only needed 7,500 points for the trip
- I could have purchased 6,000 Avios points through British Airways, that would come with a 1,500 point bonus
- Purchasing the points would have cost only $190 vs the asking price for the ticket of $360
- Promotion runs through Febuary 29, 2012 and the max you can purchase is 24,000 points
I’m starting to like the new Avios program structure. For short hops it is hard to beat these reward redemption levels.
What do you think, are there any other reasons to purchase Avios points?
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.