Are purchased domain names a sign that US Airways and American Airlines are merging? Last Friday, the same day
American Airlines filed a bankruptcy court extension, it was reported that either American Airlines or U.S. Airways purchased multiple domain names that indicate this is the case.
Given they were registered with DNStinations (owned by MarkMonitor), suggest these were not cyber squatter registrations.
Purchased Domain Names
Several domain names were purchased this past Friday.
- american-usairways.com, .net, and .org
- americanairlinesusairways.com, .net, and .org
- americanusairways.net (the .com was registered by someone else in 2010)
- usairways-american.com, .net, and .org
- usairwaysamerican.com, .net, and .org
- usairwaysamericanairlines.com, .net, and .org
- usandaa.com, .net, and .org
- aadvantageofus.com, .net, and .org
- advantageofus.com, .net, and .org
- oneworldoneairline.com, .net, and .org
Interestingly enough, I don’t see the word Dividend (as in Dividend Miles) anywhere in the domain names list.
These registrations appear to be made either US Airways or American Airlines and not by a cyber squatter. While this is still wild speculation, if the purchases were made by either company, it shows they are entertaining the thought of a merger.