This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
Loyalty has its rewards. But loyalty flows both ways. On Delta, if you are among the top status levels, you’ll be rewarded for your loyalty each year. Delta rewards their top Medallion status members with a choice benefit each year. The benefits have different values so it is important to assess what they mean to you before making your selection. Because once you select your benefit, that’s it, you are stuck with your selection until next year.
Delta’s 2012 Choice Benefits
Delta’s choice benefits are for members who qualify for Platinum and Diamond status. Members who qualify for Platinum Medallion may choose one gift while Diamond Medallions may select two gifts.
System Wide Upgrade
- Members who qualify for Platinum status may select 4 System Wide Upgrade certificates while members who qualify for Diamond status may select 6 System Wide Upgrade certificates. The certificates may be used for a member or a traveling companion to upgrade on Delta, Air France or KLM. The big issue here is all of the restrictions the certificates have make them essentially worthless to the average traveler.
Sky Club Passes
- Members who qualify for Platinum status may select 4 Sky Club passes while members who qualify for Diamond status may select 6 Sky Club passes. In the past, Delta has offered up to 5 Sky Club passes for only $99 in a special promotion. The passes normally sell for $50 on Delta’s website here.
- Members who qualify for Platinum status may select 20,000 bonus miles while members who qualify for Diamond status may select 25,000 bonus miles. The good part about this award is the miles can be banked for later use, but the problem with this is 25,000 miles only gets you a domestic coach ticket.
Travel Gift Card
- Members who qualify for Platinum status and Diamond status may select either a Tiffany & Co. Gift Card for $200 or a Delta Travel Voucher for $200 (valid for 12 months from the date of issue). If you meet Platinum status and then meet Diamond status, you’ll get to choose two certificates during the year.
- This is the benefit that I consider to be the best benefit. Members who qualify for Platinum status may nominate a friend to Silver status while members who qualify for Diamond status nominate a person for Gold status. This is commonly used to upgrade the status of a significant other. A gamble ensues throughout the year. If you think Platinum is all you will get, do you want to upgrade to Silver status only or take one of the other awards? But if you think you’ll make Diamond easily, you should forgo the Silver nomination and instead wait until you hit Diamond to nominate someone to Gold status.
Delta’s choice benefits are all over the map in terms of value. For me, I usually select the Travel or Retail card when I make Platinum, and then select the Gold nomination and another Travel or Retail card if I make Diamond status. I’ve acquired a few nice gifts for Mrs Weekly Flyer over the years from Tiffany & Co courtesy of Delta.
What’s your favorite Delta Choice benefit and where do you see the most value?
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.