This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
American Airlines is moving forward with merger considerations. They are reported to be considering six options including JetBlue, Alaska Airlines, Frontier, US airways, Virgin and are even considering themselves.
This move comes as creditors have pressed American Airlines on their stand alone restructuring plan.
Reuters has a good report with the following high level summary:
* CEO says will be reaching out to interested parties
* US Air, JetBlue, Alaska to be included -source
* Frontier, Virgin also included-source
* American sees itself as an acquirer -source
* Private equity, other carriers may be interested -source
American Airlines will reach out to the interested parties for merger options. Typically executives will evaluate options considering stand alone costs vs the one-time costs and synergies associated with any potential merger.
Regardless of any merger, buyer, or stand alone plan, this will be interesting to see how it plays out.