This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
A new TSA report ranks airports by safety from TSA theft. What is outrageous to me is that the problem is so prevalent. Does the TSA not screen their employees?
Here are the results from newly released Transportation Security Administration figures 2002-2011:
- Miami International Airport – 29
- JFK International Airport – 27
- Los Angeles International Airport – 24
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport – 17
- Las Vegas-McCarren International Airport – 15
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport – 14
- New York-Laguardia Airport – 14
- Newark Liberty – 12
- Philadelphia International – 12
- Seattle-Tacoma International airports – 12
- Orlando International Airport – 11
- Houston-George Bush Intercontinental Airport – 10
- Salt Lake City International Airport – 10
- Washington Dulles International Airport – 9
- Detroit Metro Airport – 7
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport – 7
- Boston-Logan International – 6
- Denver International – 6
- San Diego International airports – 6
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport – 5
It would be nice if travelers did not have to protect belongings from TSA employees at the airport. It is a sad reality that you should be worried that items in your checked luggage might be compromised.
Here are some safety precautions from the TSA to protect you from…wait for it…the TSA!
- When possible, NEVER let your belongings out of your sight
- NEVER pack ANYTHING valuable or fragile in your checked baggage
- ALWAYS carry your own purse, wallet, passport, valuables, etc. – do not entrust them to anyone
- ALWAYS watch your belongings as they advance through the x-ray equipment at the security checkpoints – for secondary screening, INSIST that your belongings be brought to you if you cannot maintain visual contact of your property.
- BE AWARE of your surroundings, the people around you, and the nearest exits – BE PREPARED!
Related TSA Posts
- TSA removes backscatter nude-o-scopes from major airports
- Mrs Weekly Flyer’s Run-In with the TSA
- TSA causes 2 hour delay at JFK airport
- Senator Leads Charge To End TSA
- TSA Pre – My first time and why I waited so long
- TSA is broken and they know it
- TSA requests mother’s milk but throws out good coffee
- TSA searches 3 year old boy in wheelchair on his way to Orlando
- Blogger exposes loophole in TSA’s screening process
- TSA responds to blogger about his viral video
- Miss USA sexually assaulted by TSA
- TSA detains US Senator from Kentucky, Rand Paul
- Lady screams for TSA agent arrest at checkpoint
- TSA strip searches an 85 year old woman
- Person goes through TSA security with 38 caliber gun and boards plane
- TSA inspector busted for stealing iPads
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.