This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
In preparation for the busiest travel time of the year, I wanted to follow up on a few questions that we received in emails from readers around flying during the Holidays. In particular, what can you carry-on?
To my surprise, wrapped gifts are allowed by the TSA through security in carry-on luggage. These wrapped presents are discouraged though. If you are asked to open it, you will have to comply. With that risk, plus the mangle effect that travel has on wrapping paper and bows, you are better off just wrapping your gifts when you arrive at your destination or shipping them in advance.
So, we all know the gist of carrying on liquids 3-1-1. Basically, 3.4 oz or less, one quart-sized bag per one person. But, have you considered the unusual Holiday items that are now allowed through TSA security.
Here’s the low down on what you can bring in you ziploc liquid bag, if you so desire:
- Make-up, shaving cream, perfume/cologne, any toiletries as long as they are 3.4 oz or less.
- Beverages…as long as they are 3.4 oz or less! Can you say points,miles&martinis!
- Some snowglobes are now permitted. You know, the globe trinket that has snow it in when you flip it upside down. These are only allowed if the liquid in them appears to be less than 3.4 oz and fits in the quart-sized baggie.
Other Holiday fare that is permitted in carry-on luggage:
- Turkeys – yeah, this is surprising, I know!
- Basically, anything not liquidy, sauces, etc. So, plan to buy your cranberry sauce when you arrive!
Wishing your families the Brightest Holiday Season! Happy Holidays from the Weekly Flyer Family to yours!
- Know your flying travel rights, just in time for the Holidays!
- 33 Loaded Guns, A TSA week in Review – Gun numbers release from the TSA
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.