Did you know you can redeem only 20,000 Starwood hotel points for a one-way Business Class ticket to Europe? Even better, you could redeem 20,000 Starwood hotel points for a round-trip coach ticket to Europe. In this post we’ll share how you can quickly earn, transfer and redeem only 20,000 Starpoints for a discount award ticket to Europe on Air France or KLM.
What Is The Flying Blue Promo Award
The Promo Award from Flying Blue offers 25% or 50% off an award ticket for flights with Air France and KLM Airlines. The only catch is these flights are for a limited time period. This brings the price of a Flying Blue award ticket down to only 25,000 for Coach Class round-trip or 50,000 for Business Class round-trip. What if you don’t have Flying Blue Miles? Don’t worry, we’ll share a way you can earn and transfer points over to Flying Blue to get one of these great discounted awards.
How To Get And Transfer SPG Points To Flying Blue
Starwood Starpoints transfer to Flying Blue (Air France) at a 1:1 ratio. But if you transfer only 20,000 points, you’ll get a 20% bonus for a total of 25,000 Flying Blue miles. This means you can transfer only 20,000 Starpoints for a one-way Business Class ticket, or you could transfer 40,000 Starpoints for a round-trip Business Class ticket.
Both the personal and business Starwood Preferred Guest card from American Express are offering bonus points after you apply and meet minimum spending requirements.
Discount Routes Through 12/31/12 – North America
The discount Promo Award offers are updated on a regular basis and last for about a quarter at a time. The current deals to Europe are outlined below for both Coach and Business Class discount award tickets. For a full list of discounted offers across other regions check out the Flying Blue Promo Award website. The current offers must be booked before December 29, 2012 for flights between November 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012.
- Europe / Atlanta: One way is 12,500 in Coach || Round trip is 25,000 in Coach
- Europe / Los Angeles: One way is 12,500 in Coach || Round trip is 25,000 in Coach
- Europe / Miami: One way is 12,500 in Coach || Round trip is 25,000 in Coach
- Europe / Montreal: One way is 25,000 in Business || Round trip is 50,000 in Business
- Europe / New York (JFK): One way is 12,500 in Coach || Round trip is 25,000 in Coach
- Europe / San Francisco: One way is 12,500 in Coach || Round trip is 25,000 in Coach
- Europe / Toronto: One way is 25,000 in Business || Round trip is 50,000 in Business
- Europe / Washington DC: One way is 12,500 in Coach || Round trip is 25,000 in Coach
Let’s assume you are looking to go to Paris for New Years and have 20,000 Starpoints available to use for a one-way Business Class ticket. You could search from Montreal to Paris in Business Class and look at the month long results. From the results, you’ll noticed that the discount availability is open on December 27 – 31, 2012.
The discounted award availability from Montreal prices out at only 25,000 but includes $445.60 in taxes. While the taxes are high, the amount of Flying Blue miles required is low.
What If I Don’t Live In A City With Discounted Business Class?
If you are only interested in the Business Class option, even though only 20,000 Starpoints to Europe in Coach is a good deal, there is still a way to take advantage of this offer. Consider getting a flight from your location to Toronto or Montreal. There are some great deals on flights from Chicago and New York to these cities. For example, if you live in New York, a round trip coach ticket to Montreal on American Airlines using Avios points is only 9,000 points + taxes round trip. You could purchase this award ticket and add a few days in Montreal exploring some of our ultimate tips on this great city. Or, if you live in Chicago, you could fly on American Airlines using Avios points is only 9,000 points + taxes round trip. These award options combined could make for a very cheap flight to Europe. Alternatively, you can use a free one-way ticket from a previous award to get to or from one of these cities.
Promo Award Terms And Conditions
- Reservations must be made exclusively on airfrance or klm websites (except for bookings for children, infants and minors, who are not authorised to book an award on the website)
- In the event that a technical problem occurs when reserving the promotional fare or if the reservation cannot be finalised, the Flying Blue member must log on to the site and repeat the procedure
- This award ticket may be used on connecting flights within Europe and on connecting flights from Europe to long-haul flights and vice-versa
- These promotional Promo Award may not be modified, cancelled or refunded
- Promo Award are available for one-way tickets and round trips
- Discounts (SkyTeam scale applicable) apply to the award ticket price only (SkyTeam scale is valid). Applicable taxes and fees are paid by the Flying Blue member
- Flex Award are not included in the Promo Award offer
- Business Elite and Economy Elite bookings are available exclusively to Flying Blue Elite members (Platinum, Gold and Silver). These Elite travel classes provide extra award seats on routes to the United States, the Carribean and Indian Ocean, Africa and Asia
Although Flying Blue awards come with high fuel charges and taxes, the Flying Blue Promo Awards can save you a ton of miles on an award trip to Europe and other regions. By transferring SPG points with a 20% bonus, you can reduce the points required for this award down to 20,000 SPG points for a round trip Coach or one way Business Class ticket.
Points, Miles & Martinis will earn a small referral credit for successful applications through the links in this post. As always we appreciate any support for the blog.