This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
While I am not fond of TSA’s tactics and search methodology; they do deserve some praise for a safe 2012.
TSA reported that they uncovered many interesting and some very dangerous items in 2012. Here is a review of what was uncovered by TSA on passengers and in carry on luggage while trying to board a plane:
- Over 1,500 firearms of which the vast majority (78%) were loaded. My hometown Atlanta was the worst offender with the most firearms found in 2012.
- Black powder flasks in Syracuse
- Live 40mm grenades in Dallas
- Cannonball in Ft. Lauderdale
- Pen gun
- Guns in books
- Samauri Swords
- Simulated detonating cord, simulated explosives and cans of propane
- AT-4 Rocket Launcher
- Inert Claymore mines
- Live Flash Bang Grenades/Bullets
- Knives of all kinds including lipstick knives
- Brass knuckles
- Saw blades
- Stun guns
- Inert mortar round
- Seal bombs
The list reads like something out of a comedy but, sadly it is true. This is another reminder to travelers that you cannot take weapons or anything explosive on an airplane! Check your bags before you go to the airport!
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.