This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
American Airlines AAdvantage Miles and Delta SkyMiles have some of the best options to get to Tahiti, the international gateway to French Polynesia and islands like Bora Bora and Moorea. But the biggest challenge is often finding availability between Tahiti and the United States. What some know about the award space to Tahiti, and is generally widely available for award redemptions, may help you get to Tahiti at a low level award to experience paradise in style.
I’ve reviewed the Air France to Tahiti from Los Angeles (and back) using 150,000 Delta SkyMiles for a Business Class ticket. I’ve even shared how one can redeem on that same flight for only 90,000 miles in one program, or how you can redeem only 60,000 miles to Tahiti in First Class from Hawaii.
But all those flights (except the Hawaiian one because of the seat type) are extremely difficult to find availability.
Good Availability To Tahiti From Auckland, New Zealand
One route that often has plenty of days with 2 Business Class seat awards available, is the Auckland to Tahiti flight operated by Air Tahiti Nui.
Air Tahiti Nui is a partner of Delta and American Airlines. So that means members can redeem their program miles for flights operated by Air Tahiti.
A quick check of Air Tahiti Nui availability for next December and I was able to quickly locate dates that worked for a trip.
I first checked for the award space using Expert Flyer’s award search option. The search showed 2 Business Class seats on several days.
If you are ready to book you can then call Delta Airlines or American Airlines to piece together an award. It may take a few Delta agents to figure out how to issue the award with Air Tahiti as not all of them regularly issue the award. For better luck, try asking the agent to perform what is called a long sell to get the tickets booked.
A round trip award ticket at the low level in Business Class will cost 90,000 miles and $260.10 in taxes and fees.
That’s a lot of Delta SkyMiles, but what else are you going to use SkyMiles for, an 80,000 domestic transcontinental First Class ticket?
Not to mention, you actually get to travel back in time on the outbound flight since it leaves Auckland at 4 PM in the afternoon and arrives into Tahiti at 10 PM the night before. Have you ever traveled back in time and on what route?
Granted, this award isn’t amazing for US based flyers since they’ll have to get to / from New Zealand or Australia. But it is a good day when you can book an airline award to French Polynesia in Business Class over New Years.
Plus, adding a stop over and / or open jaw beyond New Zealand can add value to the gimmicks.
There are several lesser known options to get to Tahiti using points and miles. If at first you don’t succeed, try a different day or even a different route.
- Air Tahiti Nui To Replace Business Class And Remove First Class On A340-300 Planes
- Korean Air Secrets – 60,000 First Class To French Polynesia From Hawaii
- Coach Award To French Polynesia – After Only 6 Avis Car Rentals
- Business Class to French Polynesia – Fees On Delta vs Air France
- Award Flights To French Polynesia With Chase Ultimate Rewards, Korean Air And Other Airline Options
- Update On Korean Air Award Flights To French Polynesia With Chase Ultimate Rewards
- ATL > LAX in DL Business Class and an over night at the Andaz West Hollywood
- LAX > PPT in Air France Business Class and ferry to Moorea
- Hilton Moorea Hotel Review
- Moorea Activities
- InterContinental Bora Bora
- Villa Mahana Restaurant Bora Bora
- Le Meridien Tahiti
- Ritz Carlton LAX and LAX > ATL in DL Business Class
- Tahitian Pineapple Sunrise
- Happy Hour – Raspberry Mojito In Bora Bora