≡ Menu

Weak hotel promotions are pushing me to Marriott

This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.

I am not a huge fan of the Marriott Rewards program.  From my experiences, Marriott properties are the most consistent of any major chain…..and that bothers me a little.  80% of my goal in collecting hotel points is for aspirational stays and the remaining 20% is to save money. I use Marriott almost exclusively in the 20%.

Generally if I can find a halfway decent promotion from Hyatt or SPG, I will go that route to increase my balance of points to be used for aspirational stays.  Unfortunately the current promotions running across most every chain are yawners. In a fit of desperation I logged into my Marriott account to find two stackable promotions that are lucrative enough to steer my business away from my two favorite programs.

First off is the Unexpected Bonus which is offering me a free category 1-5 hotel stay for two stays at a Marriott.  Keep in mind everyone has a specific offer but this appears to be the most common offering this time around.  Generally I have only been offered a category 1-4 which still doesn’t get me into most larger airport hotels.  I perused the Category 5 listings and found several great properties, some of which move into that hypothetical “aspirational” range.

image

Second is the Escape the everyday which adds a 5000 bonus if the two stays are at a SpringHill Suites.

image

The bottom line

While I wouldn’t go mattress run to take advantage of these offers, I do believe the tandem creates the best hotel promotion currently on the market by a solid margin.  I had a couple of SPG stays booked but I will cancel them to move my business to Marriott.  I would recommend checking your Marriott account online to see which promotion(s) you are offered.  The first promotion starts May 15 while the second is live now.

Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.

About the Author

About the author: Alex loves to travel and does so a lot. Logging 100,000 flight miles each year over the past 4 years, Alex uses points and miles to power his passion. Alex is continuously striving to experience the far reaches of the globe. In his day job, Alex is a Management Consultant frequently on the road advising Technology organizations. I love thinking about, reading about, and talking about all things travel. Feel free to reach me at pmmalex@gmail.com

{ 10 comments… add one }

  • Ryan Z April 30, 2013, 4:16 pm

    Good article… I agree, Marriott has the best promotion currently running.

    One question though – I already signed up for the Unexpected Bonus but I haven’t been able to find the Escape the Everyday link. Do you know how I might be able to access that promotion?

  • Goo April 30, 2013, 4:48 pm

    agreed, can’t find the escape the every day promo?

  • Goo April 30, 2013, 4:48 pm

    agreed, can’t find the escape the every day promo?

  • Erik April 30, 2013, 6:26 pm

    The Escape Every Day promotion is probably targeted . . . our household had one account for the 5,000 points bonus for 2 stays at a Fairfield Inn/Suites, the other account nothing

  • alex April 30, 2013, 6:49 pm

    @Ryan Z/Goo – The Escape the everyday promo is targeted.

  • Frank April 30, 2013, 8:24 pm

    Doesn’t have to be a US property to qualify as a stay does it? I’ll be hitting up asia soon

  • Jim April 30, 2013, 8:37 pm

    My targeted offer for 5000 bonus is for courtyard. I also got the same cat 1-5 certs promo

  • Yana K April 30, 2013, 8:56 pm

    Marriott hotels are changing categories (mostly moving up) on 5/16. So, while inclusion of cat 5 is great, make sure that your “aspirational” hotels aren’t outside of the reach post recategorization.

  • Mitch April 30, 2013, 9:19 pm

    My Unexpected bonus is 40k after 20 nights. Of course I get this right as I’m about to start hopping to regain my Hyatt Diamond + Hyatt promotion (I have the CC too so better bonus)…this might keep me around though…

  • DonT May 1, 2013, 3:21 pm

    Looks to me like the 2 stays have to be at the same hotel. What is your interpretation?

Leave a Comment