This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
Are you ready to revitalize your house with some new furniture? Your first stop shouldn’t be Pottery Barn, Macy’s or West Elm. It should be Staples, Office Max or Office Depot.
Major purchases can turn into major points earnings. Admittedly I ignore trying to optimize small purchases but when it comes time to make a big purchase, I put in the legwork. It’s no secret that the Ink cards category bonus of 5X Ultimate Rewards points per dollar is tough, if not impossible to beat unless working towards a signup bonus. I am not suggesting one outfit their house with office furniture (though that would be unique) but rather remember to pick up furniture store gift cards to your favorite furniture store.
We decided to spruce up our living room over the past month and here is what we bought.
Check out our new plaid high back chair.
Here is a brand new leather sectional.
And finally here is our brand new Acapulco chairs and outdoor furniture set to enjoy on those cool Boulder summer nights.
A few favorites
- Pottery Barn gift cards are pretty versatile. They can be used at Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, PBteen, Williams-Sonoma, Williams-Sonoma Home or West Elm stores.
- Macy’s has a surprisingly large furniture presence. Their gift cards are readily available at any of the office supply stores.
- Amazon sells a lot of furniture through third party sites so you can use Amazon gift cards to get 5X on those purchases.
- Pier 1 Imports has plenty of gift cards available at office supply stores.
- Crate and Barrel is quite popular these days for furniture though I have not found their gift cards at any office supply store. Too bad.
Keep in mind any sort of purchase protection you enjoy from using a credit card with that benefit for these large purchases will not be valid.
The bottom line
Furniture purchases are high buck purchases that can yield lots of points if you play your cards right. Our recent re-do of the living room and outdoor space has yielded us 10’s of thousands of points towards our next first class adventure. Since we were planning to make these purchases anyways, it was nice to get them all at 5X. Again, keep in mind any sort of purchase protection you enjoy from using a credit card with that benefit will not be valid.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.