This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport is the busiest airport in the world. That causes headaches for some people, but others may see it as a bonus.
It can be overwhelming to navigate the busy airport concourses. I’ve shared my simple strategy to navigate the airport in the past, and usually stick to it each week to avoid the airport congestion.
It’s not only the halls of the concourses that are congested, the airport has 5 active runways. That means there are usually multiple planes taking off and landing at the same time. But I see that as more of a feature than a drawback.
There is never a better time to see just how many planes are landing than a Thursday evening rush hour. If you are seated at a window seat, you’ll likely be able to follow the flight next to you all the way to the runway. Sometimes you can even catch a glimpse of more than one other flight landing at the same time.
Here’s a series of pictures from a recent rush hour landing sequence.
You can spot plans once you make the turn into the landing lineup.
As you get closer, you can likely see more than one plane landing. In this case, there was only one other one landing at the same time.
I’ve seen some pretty cool planes lined up to land in at other airports too. One memorable one was on the approach to Houston when there was low cloud cover on a well moon light night. We could see all the planes circling in the line up and then disappearing when it was there turn to land.
What other airports are a good place to see planes lined up as they are landing?
- Potentially The Best New Lounge In Atlanta
- Free Guest Access At Atlanta’s New Lounge Through September 30, 2013
- Delta’s “Other Transcon” Service – 777 Business Elite From Los Angeles
- Two New Delta Flights – Aspen And San Francisco / Los Angeles Shuttle
- Delta’s Flat-Bed Service From New York To Atlanta Changed Schedules
- Delta’s Atlanta Sky Deck Is Open For Business
- Delta Sky Deck Atlanta Sneak Peek
- Important Atlanta Airport Change And Little Known Delta SkyClub Option
- Atlanta’s Largest Farmers Market – Pretty Nice Little Saturday In Atlanta
- Delta 777 Flat-Bed Business Class Review – Atlanta To Los Angeles
- Aloft To Asia – Atlanta International Terminal And SkyClub
- Atlanta International Airport Opening Day – First Sign
- Elite SkyPriority Check In & New Atlanta International Terminal
- A Bag’s Journey – Delta’s Behind The Scenes Video From A Bag’s Perspective
- Picture Review – First 777 Leaving ATL International Terminal
- Quick Fix – What To Do When You Arrive To Home Airport And Car Battery Is Dead
- Ever Leave Something On A Plane? Simple Steps To Follow When You Do
- Important Atlanta Airport Change And Little Known Delta Sky Club Option
- Quiet Lunch In World’s Busiest Airport – Cafe Intermezzo
- Atlanta – Best Airport Restaurant, One Flew South Duck Breast
- Atlanta – Best Airport Restaurant, One Flew South Soup and Sushi
- How Do You Navigate The World’s Busiest Airport?
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.