One of my favorite things about traveling these days is getting selected for TSA Pre-Check.
TSA Pre-Check saves lot of hassle of airport security, since those selected are allowed to keep their shoes on, able to leave their laptops in their bags, and don’t have to remove light jackets or belts.
Up until recently TSA Pre-Check was only given to select elite fliers of the airlines frequent flier programs or those with a Known Traveler Number such as those with Global Entry. However now the TSA is letting anyone sign-up for TSA Pre-Check for a fee of $85.
Because of this, they are starting to open enrollment centers where travelers can go to sign-up with the first location being at the Indianapolis Airport.
How To Enroll:
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes. If an applicant has a record of any of the crimes identified in the eligibility requirements, they may choose not to apply, as the application fee is nonrefundable.
- Interested applicants must visit an application center to provide biographic information (name, date of birth, address, etc.), fingerprints and valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation. Applicants also have the option to pre-enroll online to provide basic information and make an appointment before visiting an enrollment center.
- Nonrefundable application fee of $85.00.
- After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail after approximately 2-3 weeks or may check online after five business days.
- TSA is now accepting applications at select locations
- List of required identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents
- The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years
- To participate in TSA Pre✓™ enter the KTN in the ‘Known Traveler Field’ when booking travel reservations or enter the KTN in airline frequent flyer profiles, where it will be stored for future reservations.
TSA Pre-Check is great and I highly recommend frequent flies to sign-up for Global Entry for $100 which gets you TSA Pre-Check as opposed to just Pre-Check which is $85.