This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
One of the best parts about the Southwest program is the companion pass. This feature gives members the ability to bring a companion along for any flight, for free, even if it is an award ticket!
The way members earn there companion pass is by earning 110,000 points in a calendar year. It’s fairly easy to do if you pick up a credit card that gives you 50,000 bonus points like the Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card. Then either pick up the business card or transfer hotel points into your Southwest account to make up the difference. It’s a relatively easy pass to get that will give you the ability to bring along a friend with you for free.
The Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card 50,000 offer comes and goes but does come around a few times a year. The best time to pick up this card if you are going for the companion pass is early in the year. This gives you plenty of time to earn the remaining miles towards the companion pass, plus will give you maximum time to use the free travel from the pass during the year.
The Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card comes with the following benefits:
- Get 50,000 points for 2 Roundtrip Flights after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months of opening your account. Government fees as low as $10 not included.
- Get 6,000 points after your Cardmember Anniversary.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines® and AirTran Airways® purchases made directly with the airlines and on Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases.
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Redeem points for gift cards, car rentals, cruises, hotel stays, and international flights to over 800 Destinations on 50+ global carriers.
- No foreign transaction fees
The Southwest Rapids Rewards program is not the best program for free international travel, but it is one of the best ways to get free domestic travel if you don’t mind flying in coach.
Picking up 110,000 points in a calendar year will qualify you for the companion pass. The quickest ways to earn these points is to pick up the Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card or transfer in points from a hotel program.
- Free 750 Southwest Points And 100 My Coke Rewards Points
- Southwest is getting TSA Pre-check!
- Does Southwest want to start charging for bags?
- Southwest nationwide double points promotion live