This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Update: Appears the offer is good to accept through April 1, 2014 and if accepted, will award status through the rest of 2014.
Marriott is offering Platinum Status to existing members for only 40,000 points. The status normally requires 75 nights in a hotel, but for members who didn’t achieve that number to remain Platinum this year, they can redeem 40,000 points to keep the Platinum status…through only April 1, 2014. Here are the details:
Marriott’s 40,000 Platinum Offer
I received a Platinum retention offer where I could redeem 40,000 bonus points to retain my Platinum status through April 1, 2014. That’s only a month away!
Retain Platinum Elite status with your points. You can buy back your status for just 40,000 points without meeting the minimum 75-night requirement, now through April 1, 2014.
Key Platinum member benefits include:
- A 50% point bonus
- Lounge access/breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels (excluding resorts)
- Guaranteed arrival gift
Simply call Guest Services at 1-800-321-7396 (toll-free in the U.S. and Canada).
- Buy Back my Elite status from Gold to Platinum status: 40,000 points
- Buy Back my Elite status from Silver to Gold status: 25,000 points
- Buy Back my Elite status from Basic to Silver status: 7,500 points
I won’t be taking advantage of the 40,000 Platinum retention offer. The duration of the offer is too short for me to realize any benefit out of the offer. It could make sense if I were to go on a tear of Marriott stays where the increased earnings of 50% Platinum bonus over the 25% Gold bonus would make up for the difference. But it would take quit a lot of spending to get to that break even point.
Besides, I’m perfectly happy with my Marriott Gold status – Why I like Marriott Gold status.
Will you retain your Marriott Platinum status or just go for the gold?
- Marriott – How to save 25% on Marriott hotel award redemptions
- Marriott – Why I like Marriott Gold status
- Marriott – How to get Marriott Platinum status after only 9 Marriott hotel stays
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.