This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
As of March 1st, the new Delta Choice benefits are live giving Platinum and Diamond Medallions the choice to decide what they want to redeem for. These are for members who qualified for status for 2014 and have not yet selected their benefits yet, as well as those who have already re-qualified for 2015 status.
One of the major changes is the new Regional Upgrades, which are good on all routes that Delta offers complimentary upgrades, which are now valid for all fares. Previously, these used to be called Systemwide Upgrades and required a K+ fare class but were valid on international flights as well.
Here’s a rundown of the current option for Platinum Medallions.
- 4 Regional Upgrades: which are available on the same routes as Medallion Complimentary Upgrades, meaning mostly domestic routes including to Hawaii, but have a higher priority. These can be used on all paid published Economy Class fares except for E on Delta-operated flights.
- Global Entry Application Voucher: Save time re-entering the U.S. or going through security using Global Entry. You’ll receive a $100 voucher for this.
- Delta Sky Club One-Day Passes: Platinum Medallions can receive 4 one-day passes to access nearly 50 clubs worldwide; passes valid up to one year from the date of issuance.
- Bonus Miles: You can choose 20,000 bonus SkyMiles to add to your account or donate them to a SkyWish charity of your choice.
- Travel/Retail Gift Card: Choice either a $200 Delta Travel Voucher : valid for 12 months from the date of issuance or a $200 Tiffany & Co. Gift Card
- Give Silver Medallion status: You can give a friend or family member Silver Medallion status which offers Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades, Priority Check-In, Priority Boarding and more now through February 28, 2015.
To select your Choice Benefits, head over to Delta’s choice benefit site, which you can access here. You’ll then be able to sign-in to your SkyMiles account and make your selection.
Platinum Medallions are able to choose 1 Choice Benefit from the ones mentioned above.
The new regional upgrades have some pros and cons compared to the old systemwide ones. One of the biggest pros is they are valid on pretty much every fare included discounted fares. There’s no need to buy a K+ fare anymore.
However, with that enhancement, Delta is taking away the opportunity to be able to redeem them on international flights or transcontinental flights, both which have BusinessElite. One place I can see a good use for these though, is if you want to book a cheap fare to Hawaii and then want to apply these, you would be able to do so.
Another good selection is gifting Silver Medallion status. This gifted status does not require the member to meet the minimum spending requirement so if you have a friend or family member who could value this status, this is a decent choice.
What do you plan on choosing this year for your Platinum Medallion benefit?