This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
For those in the know, Kroger Fuel points is a great way to save up to $1 off each gallon of gas.
How Does Fuel Points Work?
Fuel points works by awarding points for spending at Kroger. Then the customer can redeem points for a $ amount off each gallon of gas.
Earning rates are as follows:
- Spending on Groceries (normal exclusions apply): $1 in Groceries = 1 fuel point.
- Double fuel points for Gift Card purchases (normal exclusions apply). For example, $25 in Gift Cards = 50 fuel points.
- Non-federally funded Prescriptions: 1 Prescription = 50 fuel points. a. As of August 1, 2012, federally funded Prescriptions earn 1 point for every $1 of your out-of-pocket costs for new, transferred and refilled Prescriptions
Why Should I Care?
The best part, is Kroger counts gift cards purchased in the grocery store as spend towards the fuel points. In fact, they give you more fuel points for purchasing gift cards.
So you can earn up to a $1 back on each gallon of gas, by making purchases in store on gift cards for stores you’d spend money at anyway. Not to mention if you have a credit card that gives cash back on grocery store purchases, you can save even more.
4x Fuel Points Promotion
Kroger often runs promotions to reward more fuel points on gift cards. Right now, there is a broad promotion for 4x Fuel Points. Sadly it is advertised to end today, on April 19, 2014.
But our local store had hand written notes today that they are extending the promotion through April 22, 2014! That’s great news!
How To Get $1 Off Gallon Of Gas?
Signup for a Kroger Fuel Points account. Then earn points by shopping at Kroger.
Once you have 1,000 points in your account, you qualify for $1 off every gallon of gas for a fill-up, up to 35 gallons. But even if you don’t have 1,000 points, you can earn discounts with the following points:
- 100 fuel points = 10¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at participating Shell Stations.
- 100 fuel points = 10¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Kroger.
- 200 fuel points = 20¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Kroger.
- 1,000 fuel points = $1 off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Kroger.
Where Can I Fill Up?
Once you earn enough points, search for the Kroger fuel station nearest you by clicking here.
You can earn even more savings if you use a cash back card that earns bonuses on spending. Here are a few that can help you pick up a few more percentage points of savings:
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express offers 3x points at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases. See Flexible Card offer page for full details on these and other offers.
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express offers 2x points at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases. See Flexible Card offer page for full details on these and other offers.
You can save big bucks on gas by using Kroger’s Fuel Points program. Plus, keep an eye out for special Fuel Points promotions where they increase the amount of points you earn through gift card purchases.
How awesome is this program? Anyone find a gift card with a pin at a Kroger yet? Have you used Fuel Points yet?