This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Southwest plans to launch new international service to Mexico City and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic beginning November 2, 2014 as well as the previous announced service to Cancun and Montego Bay.
New, daily international service on Southwest Airlines beginning Nov. 2, 2014, with introductory fares from U.S. gateway cities:
(see detailed fare rules below)
- Atlanta and Punta Cana*, from $165 one-way
- Austin and Cancun*, from $168 one-way
- Baltimore/Washington and Punta Cana*, from $195 one-way
- Chicago Midway and Cancun*, from $178 one-way
- Chicago Midway and Montego Bay, from $159 one-way
- Chicago Midway and Punta Cana*, from $195 one-way
- San Antonio and Mexico City*, from $103 one-way
- Santa Ana/Orange County and Mexico City*, from $133 one-way
As AirTran Airways come to an end at the end of this year, most of these destinations will be switched over to Southwest so expect to see even more international cities served by Southwest.
AirTran Airways Flight 1 will operate on Sunday, Dec. 28, 2014, as the carrier’s final scheduled departure.
As a reminder you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards at a 1:1 ratio over to Southwest Airlines, so if you have an abundance of Chase points such as from the 60,000 sign-up bonuses from the Ink Bold® Business Charge Card or Ink Plus® Business Credit Card then consider transferring over to Southwest.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.