This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
When I think about SkyMiles 2015 for good or bad, the quote above is the first thing that comes to mind.
In the past few years, we’ve seen some major changes that have had or will have a big impact on Delta customers
Key Changes I’ve Seen With Delta Over Past Few Years
Here are a few select changes to Delta over the past 1-2 years. Can you list any more Delta changes this year that I may have missed by leaving a comment in this post?
- Introduction of revenue based award program
- Delta introduced Medallion Qualifying Dollars for elite qualification
- Launched full flat bed Business Elite on transcontinental flights
- Removed complimentary upgrades on transcontinental flights
- Delta increased the amount of miles to fly in Business Elite
- Adds new Tumi Business Elite amenity Kits
- Delta enhances transcontinental economy comfort
- Delta enhances System Wide Upgrades With Regional And Global Upgrades
- Delta introduced SPG Cross Over Rewards
- Introduced new menus onboard for transatlantic flights
- Removed snack option from inflight coupons
- Delta Adding Luvo Frozen Yogurt Bars For Economy Comfort Passengers
- Delta expands network with Virgin Tie-Up
- Delta slashes partner earning with Sky Team members
- Invested in a New SkyClub in New York JFK
- Added Sky Decks to New York and Atlanta SkyClubs
- Slashed access to SkyClubs
- Added additional fees for SkyClub access
- Added some new snacks to SkyClubs – My review here
- Added complimentary limited time premium tasting events at select SkyClubs
- Changed complimentary bar selection
- Enhanced domestic beer and wells selection – my tasting notes here
- Delta Announces Free Spirits in Economy on All International Flights
- Added new car rental earning structure here and here
- and many more
The SkyMiles 2015 program appears to be more rewarding to those who spend more money with the airline. But the biggest part of the new program in my opinion, award availability at the new 5 tier price points, is yet to be seen. Delta does promise to be:
“creating more redemption options and increasing Award Seat availability at the lowest price points”
However, there will be 5 tiers, 2 new additional ones, more than the 3 they have today. So while technically they could have more awards at the second level, which IS a lower price point than 3-5, it may not be lower than the prices you can find today. On the other hand, folks looking to spend their miles may find reasonable value at the mid tier price points.
Lots of changes at Delta in the last few years, some good and some bad in my opinion. But one thing is for sure, the 2015 SkyMiles program is coming whether you like it or not.
You’ll have to weigh the benefits and changes to see if the new program rewards you in ways you want. Personally, since I can’t book awards under the new 2015 program yet, I’m booking awards up under the current program as fast as I can. In fact, I’m down to only 15,000 SkyMiles from a bank of over 500,000 earlier this year. Then I’ll cancel and rebook them IF the price goes down next year.
What do you think about the new 2015 SkyMiles program? Are the good old days here or yet to come?