This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
When Qantas launched A380 service from Sydney to Dallas/Ft. International Worth on October 1, 2014 it took over the title of the longest flight in the world based on the distance between the two airports – 13,790km (8568.7 miles). According to the Qantas Fact Sheet the airline will Qantas will operate six non-stop flights in each direction per week between Sydney and Dallas/Fort Worth – every day except Tuesdays.
The website Flightglobal.com decided to update the list of the ten longest current scheduled air services by distance, courtesy of Flightglobal’s Innovata service of airline schedules data. Flightglobal.com decided to treat the return service as the same route.
1. Dallas Fort Worth, USA to Sydney Australia. Qantas Airways. Airbus A380. 13,790km/ 8,568.7 miles
2. Atlanta, USA to Johannesburg, South Africa. Delta Air Lines. Boeing 777-200LR. 13,572km/8,433.2 miles
3. Abu Dhabi, UAE to Los Angeles, USA. Etihad Airways. Boeing 777-200LR. 13,494km/8,384.8 miles
4. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia to Los Angeles, USA. Saudi Arabian Airlines. Boeing 777-300ER. 13,422km/8,340 miles
5. Dubai, UAE to Los Angeles, USA. Emirates. Airbus A380. 13,412km/8,338.8 miles
6. Dubai, UAE to Houston, USA. Emirates. Airbus A380. 13,140km/8,164.8 miles
7. Dallas, USA to Hong Kong, China. American Airlines. Boeing 777-300ER. 13,053km/8,011.8 miles
8. Dubai, UAE to San Francisco, USA. Emirates. Boeing 777-300ER. 13,037km/8,100.8 miles
9. Hong Kong, China to New York, USA. Cathay Pacific. Boeing 777-300ER. 12,983km/8068.3 miles
10. Hong Kong, China to Newark, USA. Cathay Pacific/United Airlines. Boeing 777-200ER. 12,971km/8059.8 miles
These super long haul flights represent somewhere between 14 and 16 hours of being on an airplane depending on airport traffic, prevailing winds, and ground handling upon arrival. The longest flight I ever recall being on was a Cathay Pacific flight on a 777 from Hong Kong to Chicago O’Hare – and that flight doesn’t even make the top ten list above. Have you had any of these super long haul experiences, and how did it go?