This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Congratulations, you just earned Platinum status…it’s music to my ears! I am well on my way to Starwood Platinum Status for Life, which was a goal of mine this year. With nearly 70% of the year already behind us; how are you tracking towards your status goals so far this year? I do stay with Starwood often and I also carry the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express which as a Card Member, you receive credit for 5 nights and 2 stays each year toward SPG Elite status. I am a big fan of SPG hotels and points so, I go out of my way to stay with SPG when it makes sense. The benefits of being Platinum are definitely worth it in my opinion.
Congratulations, You Just Earned SPG Platinum Status
While, you can’t earn SPG Platinum solely from a credit card, the Starwood American Express does give 2 stays and 5 nights toward your status each year. With this card, if you spend $30,000 or more in eligible purchases in a calendar year, you’ll be granted complimentary SPG Gold Status.
In addition, the Starwood Business American Express also gives 2 stays and 5 nights credit per year and they are combinable so by having both of these cards you could earn 4 stays and 10 nights toward SPG Platinum status each year.
The other great thing with Starwood is that award stays as well as Cash and Points stays both count toward the stay and night requirement.
How to achieve Platinum status?
Platinum status — our highest tier — earned after completing 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights in a calendar year. Eligible paid stays and nights, as well as Award redemption stays and nights, count toward elite status.
As a reminder, as a Platinum member, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of Gold status, plus even more rewards:
- Earn three Starpoints® for every U.S. dollar spent on eligible stays — a 50% bonus over Preferred.
- Your choice of welcome gift upon arrival — choose from bonus Starpoints, continental breakfast or local amenity.
- An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite.
- Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access.
- Complimentary health-club, Club-level and Executive-level access.
- Guaranteed room availability when your room is booked by 3 p.m., 72+ hours prior to arrival.
- Register and earn with Uber®. Earn 1 Starpoint per U.S. dollar spent with Uber every day, and 3 Starpoints per U.S. dollar spent with Uber during your stays with SPG.
- Earn one Starpoint per dollar spent with Delta Crossover Rewards™ on eligible Delta flights. Plus, enjoy elite benefits when traveling with Delta, such as Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding, Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades, and first checked bag free.
- New! Your World Rewards ™ with SPG and Emirates Skywards®: Register to earn one Starpoint per dollar on eligible Emirates® flights. Plus, enjoy elite in-airport benefits, including priority check-in, priority boarding and complimentary e-gate access (visit emirates.com for details).
- Earn one Starpoint for every US$2 in eligible revenue2 when you book a group for any occasion, business or pleasure. From weddings to meetings to family reunions.
- SPG Nights Benefits
- After 50 eligible nights in a calendar year, you will be able to choose a benefit from a selection of options.
- After 75 eligible nights:
- Earn 4 Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent — a 100% bonus over the Preferred level, and the richest earning bonus in the hotel industry.
- Your24™ — have the flexibility of choosing your check-in. For example, check in at 9 p.m. and check out 9 p.m. on the day of departure.
- Plus, earn 4 Starpoints per dollar spent with partners like Uber.
- After 100 eligible nights, enjoy SPG Ambassador service. SPG Ambassadors have the knowledge, training and resources to help you with whatever you need — anywhere, anytime. Learn More.
- Go Platinum. Stay Platinum. Achieve 500 eligible nights total and 10 years of Platinum status to earn SPG® Lifetime™ Platinum status.
SPG Platinum status does provide some great hotel perks benefits like the 50% earning bonus, room upgrades which include suites, 4pm check-out, internet access and welcome amenity which can include bonus points or continental breakfast.
When you compare SPG Platinum to other programs, there are many valuable benefits that they offer. For instance allowing room upgrades to include suites is a nice reward, I know many times where I’ve received a complimentary upgrade to a suite.
What’s your favorite Starwood Platinum benefit?
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.