This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Check out this offer from Amex as a reminder. To celebrate the new benefits on the Premier Rewards Gold Card, Amex has been working with people and brands that are redefining their own industries to create or offer something inspired by Gold. You can get a 25% bonus on transfers from American Express to Virgin America (only lasts thru 10/8/15. This offer is available to all card members with MR.) But, in addition they are offering gold status on Virgin when you transfer 80,000 points before 12/31/15. Which is very interesting!
Amex: Gold Status With Virgin America With Points Transfer
American Express is now working with Virgin America, and for the first time ever, if you transfer 80,0000 Membership Rewards points into Virgin Elevate points between now and the end of the year, you’ll receive Gold status with Virgin America through February 2017.
25% Point Transfer Bonus PromotionWhen you transfer American Express MR points to Elevate from September 8 to October 8, 2015 you’ll get 25% more points.
Transfer for Elevate Gold StatusMembers get Elevate Gold Status when transferring 80K MR points (equals to 40K Elevate points) or more to Virgin America before December 31, 2015.
Terms and Conditions
- Points must be transferred in increments of 200
- The points calculator rounds up to the nearest thousand Membership Rewards points. Your Elevate points amount will be adjusted upwards accordingly.
- Transfers will be made immediately, but please allow up to 48 hours for the transfer to be completed
- Once transfer is complete, login into your Elevate account at virginamerica.com and follow the procedure for redeeming your Elevate points or call Virgin at 1-877-FLY-VIRGIN (877-359-8474)
- Award travel booked over the phone is subject to a $20 booking fee.
- You cannot reverse a points transfer. Standard American Express Terms and Conditions apply.
- Gold Status Promotion Terms: In order to be eligible for this offer and get upgraded to Gold Status, you must be enrolled in Virgin America’s Elevate Program and transfer 80,000 or more Membership Rewards points to Virgin America during the promotion eligibility period (12:00 a.m. CT on September 8, 2015 to 11:59 p.m. CT on December 31, 2015). Transfer can be done in multiple transactions during this period. In order to participate in this offer, visit MembershipRewards.com/VirginAmerica to transfer Membership Rewards points to Elevate. Status will be awarded for qualifying Card Members within 14 days of transfer of 80,000 points and will remain in effect until Feb 28, 2017. For questions about the status of your upgrade, call 1-877-FLY-VIRGIN (1-877-359-8474). American Express is not responsible for availability of flight, accommodations or any other rewards in the merchant program. Once you have transferred Membership Rewards® points, they become subject to the Terms and Conditions of the merchant program and cannot be transferred back to your Membership Rewards program account. Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, including airline surcharges apply on Virgin America redemption flights. See Gold Status Program Terms and Conditions for details, https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/elevate-frequent-flyer/status/elevate-gold/. Individual air carrier restrictions may apply. Minimum transfer is 200 Membership Rewards points. For each conversion of points into the Frequent Flyer program of a U.S. airline, a fee of $0.0006 per point, with a maximum fee of $99, will be charged to your Card account. We charge this fee to offset the federal excise tax we must pay on such conversions. The fee may be more or less than the actual amount of the excise tax we pay on any individual conversion. We may offer you the option to redeem points to pay this fee.
This is definitely an interesting promotion from Amex and Virgin for some. Getting the 25% bonus is nice, but the gold status definitely makes it more interesting in my book. This offer is open to all cardmembers (with MR), not just cardholders of the Premier Rewards Gold Card from Amex. But, don’t forget that the Premier Rewards Gold Card has new benefits that are very good including, $100 Airline Fee Credit and no foreign transaction fees to mention a couple.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.