This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
We are grateful if you use our links; thank you for your support!
Starwood Preferred Guest offers SPG Platinum status after staying 25 stays or 50 nights per year, however those who stay the 50 nights, are considered a higher tier SPG Platinum level and receive a unique benefit.
Last year, Starwood has enhanced the offerings and some of the perks are really valuable so I thought I’d cover which perk you should choose if you’re qualifying for re-qualifying for SPG Platinum status for 2017.
As a reminder, both the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express offer 2 stays/5 night elite credits toward Platinum status.
Choices of SPG Platinum 50 nighters include:
- 10 Suite Night Awards™
- Gift Gold status to a friend or family member
- 1 Free Night Award
- Five Elite-Qualifying Nights
- Up to 5 rental days with Silvercar*
- SPG donation to UNICEF
- 40% off your favorite hotel bed
How I value these perks:
- 10 Suite Night Awards: If you travel a lot and are looking to receive confirmed suite upgrades, then this is your best bet. With 10 nights, you’ll be able to stay in a suite about 20% of your time if you stay 50 night, not including the many more times you may be upgraded at check-in. If you have use for this benefit, this is the way to go.
- Gift Gold status to a friend or family member: SPG Gold status is normally earned after 10 stays or 25 nights, so in theory this could be a lucrative perk, however there are many ways to earn SPG Gold without staying a single night including by having the The Platinum Card® from American Express or by spending $30,000 a year on the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. This isn’t a perk I would select.
- 1 Free Night Award: If you aren’t able to use the suite night awards, this is a great benefit. You’ll receive 1 free night, good at any SPG Category 1-5 property. There are some great Category 5 properties that can run upwards of $500 a night in peak season, so you can maximize your value with this perk.
- Five Elite-Qualifying Nights: If you’re loving your SPG Platinum status, and want to make sure you re-qualify again, then these five nights will mean you’ll just need 45 more nights. This could be a valuable perk if you find yourself short on nights, but it wouldn’t be my top pick.
- Up to 5 rental days with Silvercar: Silvercar is awesome if you haven’t tried it, and they’re gradually expanding to more locations, so this is a cool perk to consider if you’re looking for a cool benefit to choose.
- SPG donation to UNICEF: I’m all for donating to charity, however choosing this option doesn’t make the most sense if you’re trying to maximize value.
- 40% off your favorite hotel bed: If you’re looking to purchase a comfortable hotel bed such as the Westin Heavenly Bed, then this could be a good option to consider saving some money on your purchase.
Whatever SPG Platinum 50 night perk you choose, you can’t go wrong, as it’s a matter of personal choice, however I’d strongly suggest the the 10 Suite Night Awards or the 1 Free Night Award.
What SPG Platinum 50 night perk will you be choosing? Feel free to share below!