One of the inconveniences of a rapidly changing credit card strategy is the inevitable bloated, “George Costanza” wallet one will likely end up with. The holiday season does little to alleviate this space crunch when you are looking for a home for those Starbucks gift cards you received in your stocking.
Starbucks provides an easy online interface to consolidate your gift card balances onto a single card to save that precious wallet share. The My Starbucks Rewards program accumulates stars on registered cards only so it makes sense to consolidate all your balances onto one card while you are already registering your cards online. I am sure this has been around for awhile but I feel this could be helpful for some at this time of year.
Consolidate Starbucks gift cards
1. Head to Starbucks
2. Sign into your account. Register if you don’t already have one.
3. Click on My Cards
4. Use ‘Add a Card’ to add all of your newly received Starbucks Gift Cards one by one.
5. Choose the Gift Card that you are currently using to accumulate stars. If you are not collecting stars in one place, select the card with the coolest design! This is the card you will transfer all your funds onto.
6. Click on a card along the top with a balance and choose Transfer Funds on the left tab.
7. Select ‘Transfer From’. The ‘Transfer To’ option requires the number on the card to be typed in again while this option gives a more convenient dropdown.
8. Select your chosen card from the dropdown and follow the prompts to transfer the balance.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 until all your balances are on one card.
10. Cut up the other cards and let your wallet breath.
I was able to quickly consolidate all my small balances onto a single card. I actually found that several of my older cards had orphan balances that I was able to transfer onto my new card.