As an update, Marriott CEO To Starwood Members: Don’t Worry About Your Points as reported by Forbes.
Big news this morning as the announcement hits that, “Marriott International will buy Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide in a cash and stock deal valued at $12.2 billion to create the world’s largest hotel chain.” As reported by CNBC, “The deal is expected to close in mid-2016, the companies said.”
Goodbye Starwood Preferred Guest? I Will Miss You!
So, the big question is what will this mean for SPG Platinums like myself? Will the 2 programs be merged together and if so, how?
Starwood points are much more valuable then Marriott points and so is top tier status at Starwood.
Lots of questions and lots of possible scenarios:
- Will Marriott keep the Starwood Preferred Guest program in tact?
- How this will impact lifetime SPG status?
- How this will change SPG upgrades?
- What SPG brands will be kept after the transactions and which ones will be divested and sold off?
- How will SPG points convert to the larger Marriott program and at what time? 2 to 1? 1 to 1?
All these questions certainly make me uneasy. I am a big fan of SPG program and value the points and my status. Only time will tell how this merger will affect us. What are your thoughts/concerns with this newly announced merger? What is your suggestion for how or if the programs should be merged?