This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Starwood Preferred Guest offers SPG Platinum status after staying 25 stays or 50 nights per year, however those who stay the 50 nights, are considered a higher tier SPG Platinum level and receive a unique benefit.
Last year, Starwood has enhanced the offerings and some of the perks are really valuable so I thought I’d cover which perk you should choose if you’re qualifying for re-qualifying for SPG Platinum status for 2017.
As a reminder, both the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express offer 2 stays/5 night elite credits toward Platinum status.
Choices of SPG Platinum 50 nighters include:
- 10 Suite Night Awards™
- Gift Gold status to a friend or family member
- 1 Free Night Award
- Five Elite-Qualifying Nights
- Up to 5 rental days with Silvercar*
- SPG donation to UNICEF
- 40% off your favorite hotel bed
How I value these perks:
- 10 Suite Night Awards: If you travel a lot and are looking to receive confirmed suite upgrades, then this is your best bet. With 10 nights, you’ll be able to stay in a suite about 20% of your time if you stay 50 night, not including the many more times you may be upgraded at check-in. If you have use for this benefit, this is the way to go.
- Gift Gold status to a friend or family member: SPG Gold status is normally earned after 10 stays or 25 nights, so in theory this could be a lucrative perk, however there are many ways to earn SPG Gold without staying a single night including by having the The Platinum Card® from American Express or by spending $30,000 a year on the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. This isn’t a perk I would select.
- 1 Free Night Award: If you aren’t able to use the suite night awards, this is a great benefit. You’ll receive 1 free night, good at any SPG Category 1-5 property. There are some great Category 5 properties that can run upwards of $500 a night in peak season, so you can maximize your value with this perk.
- Five Elite-Qualifying Nights: If you’re loving your SPG Platinum status, and want to make sure you re-qualify again, then these five nights will mean you’ll just need 45 more nights. This could be a valuable perk if you find yourself short on nights, but it wouldn’t be my top pick.
- Up to 5 rental days with Silvercar: Silvercar is awesome if you haven’t tried it, and they’re gradually expanding to more locations, so this is a cool perk to consider if you’re looking for a cool benefit to choose.
- SPG donation to UNICEF: I’m all for donating to charity, however choosing this option doesn’t make the most sense if you’re trying to maximize value.
- 40% off your favorite hotel bed: If you’re looking to purchase a comfortable hotel bed such as the Westin Heavenly Bed, then this could be a good option to consider saving some money on your purchase.
Whatever SPG Platinum 50 night perk you choose, you can’t go wrong, as it’s a matter of personal choice, however I’d strongly suggest the the 10 Suite Night Awards or the 1 Free Night Award.
What SPG Platinum 50 night perk will you be choosing? Feel free to share below!
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.