Frontier Airlines has just announced a massive expansion to their route network today. Unlike most of the US carriers which operate under a hub and spoke system, Frontier Airlines operates their route network based on origin and destination traffic, similar to how Southwest Airlines operates.
Some exciting new routes they announced include: Atlanta to San Juan, PR; Las Vegas to Salt Lake City; Miami to San Juan, PR; New Orleans to Austin; Phoenix to Austin; and Tampa to Minneapolis. There are many more and you can view all the new routes here.
Not only am I excited for these new routes as Frontier offers great fare sales, we’ve seen as low as $20 in the past, this drives more competition to the big three US carriers, so I’m hopeful that we’ll see the fares decrease on some of these routes.
Frontier Airlines has announced a significant network expansion adding 21 new cities which will increase the number of destinations served by the low-fare carrier by 30 percent and double the number of total routes. By next spring, Frontier will offer low fares to 90 percent of the U.S. population, which is expected to bring more than $1 billion dollars in savings to consumers through lower airfares. To celebrate the announcement, Frontier is offering limited time fares from $39*.
Some highlights from their announcement:
- Twenty-one new cities (eight on sale today), about a 30 percent increase in cities to 82 cities
- Eighty-five new routes (forty-nine on sale today)
- Nonstop routes nearly double by Summer of 2018 to 314
- Total routes (including connections) grow to well over 1000 by Summer 2018 (more than double the current number of total routes)
- Expansion of winter service to warm weather destinations with significant growth in Tampa, Miami, Orlando, Fort Myers, Fla., and Cancun, Mexico
What new routes are you most excited to see from Frontier? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!