This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Delta offers Platinum and Diamond Medallion members choice benefits, up qualifying for Medallion status at these two levels. Platinum Medallions receive one choice, whereas Diamonds get to choose three benefits.
Delta Choice Benefits for Platinum Medallions
I wrote How I Plan to Earn Delta Platinum Medallion Status through 2020, and have since qualified for Platinum Medallion status, meaning it’s time to choose a Choice Benefit. Each year, Delta will sometimes make slight changes to the benefits, however below is a list of the 2019 Choice Benefits, which is what I’m eligible to choose from.
As a Diamond or Platinum Medallion Member, you get to receive Choice Benefits as a reward for your loyalty.
- Diamond Medallion Members will receive three Choice Benefits when they reach 2018 or 2019 Medallion Status.
- Platinum Medallion Members will receive one Choice Benefit when they reach 2018 or 2019 Medallion Status.
Here’s a look at the 2019 Delta Choice Benefits for Platinum Medallions:
- Four Regional Upgrade Certificates: Travel in complete comfort with Regional Upgrade Certificates. One-way Regional Upgrade Certificates can be used on all paid published Main Cabin and Delta Comfort+ fares, except E (Basic Economy), on the same routes as Medallion Complimentary Upgrades and on non-stop flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, DCA-LAX and BOS-SFO. Starting April 1, 2018, Regional Upgrade Certificates maybe used on any flight that is eligible for Complimentary Upgrades, including all flights with First Class and the domestic Delta One experience. Must be booked and flown one year from date of issuance. Certificates are usually issued the day after selection. Before selecting, view the guidelines for use to get the most out of your Upgrade Certificates opens in a new window. Visit My Wallet opens in a new window to see your certificate numbers after confirmation.
- One $100 Global Entry Application Voucher: Save time re-entering the United States or going through security using Global Entry. Learn more about Global Entry.
- 20,000 Bonus Miles: Add miles that never expire to your account, gift them to another SkyMiles Member or donate them to a SkyWish charity of your choice.
- Travel or Retail Gift Card: Celebrate your Status with a $200 travel voucher or $200 retail gift card to Tiffany & Co.
- Silver Medallion Status for Recipient You Choose: Give the gift of Status by gifting Silver Medallion Status to anyone you choose. This benefit requires additional information. Selecting this benefit will reveal additional fields. Enter your recipient’s information and they will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If the recipient does not have a SkyMiles account, they must join SkyMiles before you are able to gift them Status. This benefit is valid through January 31, 2020.
When it comes to selecting Choice Benefits as a Platinum Medallion, it’s important to give it some thought on which benefits are the most valuable, and ones that you can’t receive normally.
I’d say the two most valuable options would be Four Regional Upgrade Certificates or Delta Silver Medallion Status.
The regional upgrade certificates can clear at time of booking if upgrade space is available, otherwise they move you to the top of the list on the upgrade list. To maximize this benefit, I’d recommend using for a using for a Delta One Business Class flight transcontinental flight. As the example above you use for LAX-JFK for Delta One, which has a price premium of over $1,300 over a Main Cabin fare. Four of these, and you’re looking at $5,200 in value.
The other contender if you don’t fly on transcontinental flights, and don’t value upgrades would be Silver Medallion status. Delta doesn’t sell status, and you can only earn by flying and meeting the spend requirement. If you have a family/friend, who travels then this could be great value for them.
Which Platinum Delta Choice Benefit would you choose? Feel free to share in the comments below.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.