Earlier this week we broke the news how Delta Air Lines Testing Basic Economy Award Tickets on Select Routes, however we now learn more about the testing of these fares and where you can find them.
The initial test of Basic Economy award tickets is currently being offered on all flights to/from Charleston, SC (CHS) within the United States and Canada. Additionally, Minneapolis-Phoenix also is a test route for this product. Depending on the success of this test, it’s likely this will be rolled out to more routes.
Examples of current test routes of Basic Economy award tickets:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Phoenix (PHX):
Charleston, SC (CHS) to New York- LaGuardia (LGA):
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) to Charleston, SC (CHS):
Delta Basic Economy Award Ticket Restrictions:
- Seats can not be assigned in advance and will automatically be chosen at check-in or at the gate, however there are no seat changes (option to buy a seat after check-out)
- Fare is non-refundable and non-changeable, meaning if you can’t take the flight, you’re out for the entire value of the ticket
- Zone 4 boarding for Basic Economy customers unless a Medallion Member, then Priority boarding would apply
- No Same Day Travel Changes allowed since the ticket is non-changeable. Medallion members are NOT eligible for Same Day Confirm or Same Day Standby option
- Ticket is not upgrade eligible for anyone including Medallions
- Not eligible for complimentary Comfort + or Preferred seating or to buy up to these seats
It’s important to note that Diamond and Platinum Medallions who normally are eligible for complimentary award redeposits, would not apply for Basic Economy award tickets, as these are non-refundable.
Medallion members flying on Delta Basic Economy award tickets will only be eligible for checked bag fee waiver and priority boarding, no other benefits would apply.
What are your thoughts on Delta adding Basic Economy award tickets. Do you think it’s only a matter of time before United implements this award as well? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.