Hyatt has announced they’ll be making some big changes to their World of Hyatt program when it comes to redemptions. Starting in March 2020, World of Hyatt will be moving adding peak and off-peak awards to all their awards in addition to the current standard pricing.
Introducing Off-peak and Peak Point Redemption
Starting in March 2020, World of Hyatt will introduce Off-peak and Peak point redemption for free night awards. Under this new structure there will be three point redemption values, which will allow members more flexibility when it comes to getting the most out of their points for free nights at more than 1,000 hotels worldwide.
- Off-peak: Fewer points will be required during Off-peak times – starting at 3,500 points per night (the best value when hotels are less busy)
- Standard: Points required during standard redemption periods will follow today’s point requirements – starting at 5,000 points per night
- Peak – When hotels are the busiest, more points will be required for a free night – starting at 6,500 points per night and will be no more than 5,000 points above the Standard point requirement
In addition to free nights, the new structure will be true for all types of award nights, including free nights in a standard room, club-access room, standard and premium suites.
Points + Cash awards will also offer Off-peak and Peak rates and will still require 50% of the standard cash rate and 50% of the points required for a free night.
Here’s a more detailed charge of the new award charts:
When it comes to free night awards, we see the variance of peak/off-peak of 5,000 for Category 7 and 8, whereas 1,500 points for Category 1 and 2.
Category 1-4 free night awards earned through the World of Hyatt Credit Card or for hitting certain thresh holds for qualifying nights/ number of brands remain applicable during all point requirement periods.
Hyatt shared the following details:
- If a member has an existing award booking for a night that changes to Off-peak in March 2020, they will receive an automatic one-time refund on the point difference. Members will not be charged more if their existing award booking changes to Peak.
- Free night point redemptions will be identified as Peak, Standard or Off-peak as soon as nights are available for reservations (usually 13 months in advance) and will not change once posted.
- Our hotel award categories are not changing and will remain 1-8.
What are your thoughts about the changes coming to the World of Hyatt program as they add peak/off peak pricing? Feel free to share in the comments below.