Vanilla Reloads At Gas Stations – Are They Coming To An End

This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.

A few weeks ago I stumbled on a bunch of Vanilla Reloads at a gas station then just like Delta and United enhancements in 2014 I started seeing Vanilla Reloads everywhere, eventually finding them at these four stores and then more.

They were humming along until today when I visited a friendly neighborhood gas station and saw this:

20140622-154911-56951988.jpg

Notice the language in the upper right hand corner? Effective June 16, 2014 this particular store is limiting Vanilla Reload transactions with credit or debit cards to only $100 per transaction. I’m not willing to bet this is chain wide because I have no other data points. But suspect the end maybe near for this particular chain selling Vanilla Reloads.

What do you think, have you seen this language at any of the gas station stores locations?

Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.

About the author: The Weekly Flyer is writes about travel from a business traveler perspective. He travels the world every week accumulating points and miles along the way. Feel free to reach me at theweeklyflyer@gmail.com

• FamilyVentures June 22, 2014, 2:05 pm

I sure hope not!! I have a source for these near where I work and would hate to see that come to an end. So far, I have not seen anything like this or heard anything from the cashiers when I’m paying with my cc.

• Vicente June 22, 2014, 3:33 pm

As each MS option is closed, that intensifies the rush to the remaining MS avenues. Witness how it didn’t take long after VR were closed out at CVS, for people to switch to using OneVanilla at WallyWorld, and how quickly that got locked out. Each bean counter notices the increase and calculates the loss is above acceptable limits. Not a concerted effort, just natural consequences. Within a year I’d say all the easy/cheap avenues for MS will be gone.

• Darth Chcolate June 22, 2014, 4:05 pm

Good. And it can’t happen too soon.

• White Chcolate June 22, 2014, 5:48 pm

Darth Chcolate, I’ve seen you around these blogs and you SUCK. why do you care to put your two cents in? why are you against MS? explain that. you are probably some fat virgin twenty something dude living in your parents basement.

• Christian June 22, 2014, 6:09 pm

@White Chcolate
    Now that you mention it, ol’ Darth has inserted an awful lot of comments on a great many blogs, but I can’t remember any of them actually being pleasant, supportive, or even constructive. They tend to center around how nobody else deserves to MS, and berating others, instead of suggesting ways to not screw things up for everyone.

• GuestA June 22, 2014, 8:19 pm

@ Christian

The poster “White Chocolate”‘s comment is NOT any better.

• KAi June 22, 2014, 8:48 pm

I came across a gas station that had VR. I asked if I can pay w/ cc, and was told I can only pay with cash. :\

• Credit inquiry removal June 23, 2014, 8:35 am

I tried a couple places in Louisiana this weekend. Kangaroo, TA Petro and Valero. All cash. TA Petro didn’t even recognize the cards in their system to be able to scan even.

• Christian June 23, 2014, 6:30 pm

@GuestA
    You make a valid point. Nonetheless, I can see WhiteChocolate’s frustration. DarthChocolate just seems to always have unpleasant things to say. Enough negativity over enough times is tough to take.