This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
As we covered earlier today, the US Airways and American Merger has closed which means the airlines are taking an exciting step toward building the new American.
They are combining to form a stronger airline with an extensive network, greater schedule options and a modern and fuel-efficient fleet.
However as a result, US Airways will be leaving Star Alliance, since American is a member of OneWorld, which the new American will be a part of.
As a result there will be some changes for United fliers:
- All current tickets for travel on US Airways will be honored
- You can continue to book award travel on US Airways using MileagePlus miles through March 30, 2014 (for any travel dates within the published schedule, even beyond March 30, 2014).
- You can also continue to earn MileagePlus award miles on US Airways flights through March 30. On US Airways flights earning MileagePlus award miles you will also earn Premier qualifying miles, Premier qualifying segments, and Premier qualifying dollars for US Airways flights (in accordance with PQD/program rules) between January 1 and March 30, 2014
- Star Alliance benefits on US Airways will apply through March 30, 2014.
- If you have a United Club membership, or if you are traveling on a United international premium cabin ticket, you can access the US Airways Club through March 30, 2014.
If you’re an United flier and looking to book awards on US Airways you have until March 30, 2014. United fliers will no longer have perks on US Airways after March 30, 2014 so keep that in mind.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.