Summer reminds me of car trips, boats and beaches. Each summer growing up we’d always look forward to the summer trip. Whether it was a trip to the beach or a flight up to the Cape, it was not only was it a vacation, it was a chance to make lasting memories with family members.
My two favorite summer travel memories included renting a car and driving around the Northeast from Manhattan to Cape Code to Martha’s Vineyard and taking an Amtrak sleeper car to explore the Nation’s Capital.
Boston, Cape Cod & Martha’s Vineyard
We flew up to Boston and picked up our rental car to explore Boston before heading over to the Cape to meet up with family. We took a day trip on the ferry over to Martha’s Vineyard and rode bikes all over the island. We even saw where that famous scene from Jaws was filmed. How cool is that for a kid? We dug for clams and I lost my sandals in knee deep mud. My brother and I learned how to sail, cook clams, and had a great summer with the family.
Amtrak To DC
The trip up to DC was memorable because it was my first train ride in a sleeper car. We had a bunk room and I remember watching “train tv” thinking it was the coolest thing.
Now it is your turn to share your favorite summer family travel memory in the comments section. Not only are you sharing your knowledge with others, but you are entering to win the following prizes:
How To Enter Making Summer Travel Memory Giveaway
- Leave a comment on this post with your favorite summer travel memory or upcoming memorable trip by 11:59PM Eastern on Saturday June 8, 2013
- Must be 18+, limit one entry per person per day, void where prohibited
- We’ll select one lucky winner at random
- Remember to go and enter to win similar prizes on Pizza in Motion and Mommy Points!
Enter For Chance To Win Following Prizes
- Complimentary one-night stay at Hyatt House: Valid at any Hyatt House location through 12/31/2014. Subject to availability and must be made in advance using the code on the certificate. Limit one certificate per stay. Other details available on the certificate.
- Hertz: 1,200 Hertz points (enough for an anytime rental, and free weekend days start at just 500 points)
- American Airlines Admirals Club Pass: Valid for one day for one person. Expires 12/31/13. Must be 18 years or older and hold a same-day ticket for travel on American Airlines.
Hertz Helping Travelers With New Guide And Apps
Looking for the closest, safest beach?
Hertz has partnered with Waterkeeper Alliance to offer the first-ever “Waterkeeper Swim Guide,” accessible to customers via the in-car Hertz NeverLost GPS unit. The “Waterkeeper Swim Guide” is a new data source that will tell users where beaches are located, which are safe for swimming, and what’s unique about each beach.
Looking to apps to help you explore?
Hertz is also expanding its NeverLost My Explore™ mobile app to include five new city guides for the following locations: Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Detroit and Napa. The app allows users to maximize their travel experience in or out of the car with customized voice narratives and text descriptions for must-see sites, tours, shopping, neighborhoods, favorites and restaurants.
- Additional notable features of the NeverLost My Explore™ app include augmented reality to turn a camera phone into a live map at the touch of a screen to show surrounding attractions, map view to let users find their way by car, foot, or public transportation, live weather updates for help pre-planning activities, social media integration so users can share travel adventures using Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr, and free download codes to integrate seamlessly with any NeverLost® GPS device.
- NOTE: The first My Explore™ app is available for download for free; additional city guides are available for $0.99 each.
Hyatt house Expands And Adds Personalized Perks
The Hyatt house is expanding across the country and is adding new perks such as the Very Important Resident (VIR), Morning Spread and Hyatt Has It.
Very Important Resident
Guests staying 30 nights or more on a single stay at a Hyatt House hotel will earn the Very Important Resident (VIR) status which will allow the guest to enjoy the great new benefits.
The morning spread is a new complimentary breakfast spread offering build-your-own Omelet Bar, oatmeal, yogurts, fresh fruit and other breakfast goodies. Of course it is complimentary.
Hyatt Has It
We’ve all been there. I’ve forgotten to bring items on a trip more times than I can count over the years. Guests will now be able to borrow from House Hosts items from curling irons to cell phone chargers to blenders!
We always enjoyed the summer as kids because we were fortunate enough to be able to make some great memories with family. We plan to continue that with Baby Weekly Flyer thanks in large part to points and miles.
Hope your summer is filled with many opportunities to make lasting memories. What’s your favorite summer family travel memory? How do you plan to make memories this summer?