Have you always wanted to become a commercial airline pilot, but you don’t have any flying experience? With JetBlue’s Gateway Select program, you now can. However, it’s not a cheap program, as the airline states it costs roughly $125,000 for this 4 year program.
Requirements for JetBlue’s Gateway Select program:
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be 23 years old by the completion of the approximate 4-year program.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a First-Class Medical Certificate.
- Able to obtain a valid passport with the ability to travel in and out of the United States by the end of training.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English.
It’s no secret that there is a shortage of airline pilots, which is a problem as more and more people are flying for business and pleasure. As such, JetBlue is looking for new candidates to take to the cockpit, even ones who have never flown before.
The airline company developed Gateway Select, a special training program for its pilots that took people with little to no flying experiences and turned them into pilots. The program worked out so well for the company that they are once again looking for new recruits. The first round opened in 2016, with 24 chosen applicants out of a pool of 1,5000, including a grocery store clerk, an accountant, and a baggage handler. Trainees will learn about meteorology, aerodynamics and aircraft systems, go through flight simulators, and get in the necessary 1,500 hours of flying experience.
JetBlue’s Gateway Select is great option for those looking to become commercial airline pilots, as those who successfully complete this program will become JetBlue E190 first officers.
Is anyone considering applying for JetBlue’s Gateway Select program? Feel free to share your thoughts below!