It’s been a while since I have written about what we do and specifically bring to keep the kids happy when we fly. Specifically I’ll focus on our pre-school aged kids and what their top gear is while traveling. When they are happy, mom and dad are happy and so are the rest of the travelers around!
Keeping The Kids Happy When Flying
A few years ago I outlined what I put in our carry-on bag for baby/toddler travels. You can see that post here, What To Put In The Carry-On Bag – Packing List For Small Children. In looking back a that list, many items are very much the same but, as they get older there are some differences.
Here’s an updated list for pre-school aged children that you can use to pack for your next trip:
- I still use a small Vera Bradley Miller bag which worked well because of the size and the many inside pouches.
- Melissa & Doug On the Go ColorBlast
- Kids Tablet of your choice
- Headphones – preferably the kid-friendly kind.
- Kid Friendly Snacks
- Coloring books, pencils or the like
- First Years Sip Cups – these are spill proof and great even for kids who are good at drinking out of real cups.
- Wet wipes or antibacterial wipes
- Change of clothes in case of accident
- A special treat, candy or chocolate for when times get tough!
Of course it is also great to internet access if you can get it while flying with kids. As a reminder, one great benefit of the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN is annual complimentary Gogo inflight internet. If you have the Business Centurion® Card, Corporate Centurion® Card, Corporate Platinum Card®, Corporate Gold Card or Executive Gold Corporate Card from American Express you also get this benefit! See Get Your 10 Free GoGo Passes For 2018 for more info!
It’s all about preparation. Do you have enough things to keep your kids happy and calm while traveling. Don’t forget that that includes not only the 4 hour flight but, also your time before boarding (whether in the club lounge or not.) So make sure to pack smart and the kids and your travel companions will thank you!