The Andaz West Hollywood is the latest hotel to add a mandatory resort fee, which their referring to as a Destination Fee. It used to be that resorts would charge these, however recently most hotels in NYC have tacked on these mandatory fees, and now we’re seeing these head to Los Angeles.
Resort fees are becoming more popular and more expensive, so it’s disappointing to see them being expanded to Los Angeles. Hotels like these fees, since they’re paid directly to the property meaning they don’t have to pay commission to third-party bookings such as a Expedia.
Additionally, it’s not included in the base rate, so the hotel will appear cheaper when searching online and comparing prices to other hotels, similar to airlines that charge for checked bags, you won’t see that in your ticket price.
On the Andaz West Hollywood policies page, we learn more about their destination fee.
Please be advised that hotel room bookings will be assessed a mandatory destination fee of $23.10 night. Please enjoy the following complimentary access and activities included in your stay as part of this program:
- $10 credit to our hotel’s acclaimed Riot House Restaurant and Bar for dinner
- $20 day pass to Cycle Bar. Includes drop-in ride, free branded water bottle and free amenities
- 15% discount on tickets to Escape Room with code: andazguest (3 person minimum)
- 10% off Starline Tours for Celebrity Homes Tour, Hop On Hop Off 48 Hour Tour and Grand LA City Tour. (redeem online with code: Andaz2019)
- Beverly Center VIP Passport to Shopping booklet. Present Shopping Pass Voucher at the Beverly Center Guest Services to receive your Passport to Shopping filled with special offers (Visit hotel front desk to pick up shopping pass voucher)
- $3 off admission to the Grammy Museum at L.A. Live (bookable online at https://www.grammymuseum.org/ with offer code (ANDAZ)
- Complimentary welcome bag, key chain and postcard at The Original Farmers Market. Simply present your room key to their concierge.
- Fred Segal exclusive personal shopping experience with one of their concierge, refreshments from Fred Segal Café and a complimentary gift with no minimum purchase. (To book your experience please see the front desk host.)
- Exhale Spa – $25 off any 60 or 90-minute spa therapy or $10 off a fitness class at the Santa Monica location (redeem by showing this listing)
- 15% discount off retail prices at Carlton Drew Men’s Store. (redeem by showing your Andaz room key)
- PinkDot -10% discount on purchases at the famed Sunset Boulevard store. (redeem by showing your Andaz room key or shop online using code: ANDAZ19)
Unfortunately if you’re staying at the Andaz West Hollywood it doesn’t look like there’s a way around this unless you’re a Hyatt Globalist member, as resort fees are waived for their top-tier elite members.
What are your thoughts on the Andaz West Hollywood adding on a mandatory destination fee? Do you think other Los Angeles hotels will be following suit? Feel free to share in the comments below.
Hat Tip: One Mile at a Time