Earlier this year, we wrote about Southwest Airlines Possible Further Hawaii Expansion, and their latest destination in Hawaii has officially been announced.
The airline initially announced plans to serve four airports in Hawaii including Honolulu (Oahu), Kahului (Maui), Lihue (Kauai), and Kona (Big Island). However one airport which wasn’t initially announced was Hilo (Big Island), however that has been added as the 5th destination on the island.
The airline hasn’t announced what routes we will see to/from Hilo (Big Island), however per an inside source at the airline it likely wouldn’t be from the mainland, but rather from Honolulu or Maui as connecting service.
Here’s a recap of Southwest Airlines Hawaii routes:
- Oakland to Honolulu begins once daily on March 17, 2019; Honolulu to Oakland begins once daily on March 18; the route will be flown twice daily in each direction as of March 24.
- Oakland to Kahuluibegins once daily on April 7, 2019; Kahului to Oakland begins once daily on April 8; the route will be flown twice daily in each direction as of April 10.
- Interisland service four times daily in each direction between Honolulu and Kahului begins April 28.
- San Jose to Honolulu service begins May 5, once daily in each direction.
- Interisland service four times daily in each direction between Honolulu and Kona begins May 12.
- San Jose to Kahului service begins May 26, once daily in each direction.
Southwest has already confirmed the next two U.S. mainland destination to receive Hawaii service will be San Diego and Sacramento.
What are your thoughts on Southwest Airlines adding Hilo as their 5th city in Hawaii that the airline will serving? Feel free to share in the comments below.