World of Hyatt has announced they’ll be extending 2020 World of Hyatt elite status for all Discoverist, Explorist and Globalist members through February 28, 2022. This is due to the COVID-19 pandemic preventing travel across the world.
Additionally, Hyatt will be suspending the forfeiture of points though the end of the year, and extending unused free night, suite upgrade or club lounge access awards through the end of 2021.
This follows Hyatt’s earlier announcement where World of Hyatt status was extended for those members in the Asia Pacific Region. Hyatt also has postponed award chart changes as well as off-peak and peak point redemptions until next year.
Extending World of Hyatt loyalty program benefits
We are closely listening to our World of Hyatt members and using feedback to continually evaluate ways to flex the program. To advance care and give members one less thing to worry about during this incredibly challenging time, World of Hyatt benefits will be extended in the following ways for all members globally:
- More time to use points: We are suspending the forfeiture of points through December 31, 2020. As a reminder, our general policy is that points do not expire, but they will be forfeited if a member’s account is inactive for 24 months.
- More time to use earned awards: All unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade or Club Lounge Access awards with expiration dates between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be extended to December 31, 2021. This includes existing awards and awards that may be earned throughout this year with a 2020 expiration date. The award extension will be generated by World of Hyatt – members do not need to take action. Awards that expired between March 1 and March 31, 2020 will be replaced with new awards on April 20, 2020. All other qualifying, unused awards will be updated by the 20th day of the month in which the award would have originally expired.
- More time for elite members to enjoy their status and benefits: Status and benefits will be extended for all existing elite members without having to re-qualify. This means that whatever your status was as of March 31, 2020 – whether Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist – it will be automatically updated to reflect a February 28, 2022 expiration date. All elite tier extensions should be reflected in members’ accounts no later than April 15, 2020.
Last week, Hilton announced Hilton Honors 2020 Status Extension for All Members, so it’s great to see Hyatt step up as the next global hotel company to extend elite status for all members. Marriott has yet to make any global extension regarding status, however I’d be surprised if they don’t take a similar approach.
I’m couldn’t be more thrilled to see Hyatt make this announcement that they’re extending all members status for another year. Given these unprecedented times, this is the right thing to do, and one that all hotels/airlines need to do.
World of Hyatt has a loyal following, so I know many members of the program will be pleased to hear that their status will be extended another year. Expect to see the new expiration reflected in your account by the middle of April.
World of Hyatt Coronavirus Updates:
- Latest World of Hyatt Coronavirus Updates
- World of Hyatt Extends Tier Status And Benefits in Asia Pacific Region
- Park Hyatt New York, Grand Hyatt New York and More Closing
What are your thoughts on World of Hyatt extending 2020 elite status through Feb 2022? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.