Following gate lead of American Airlines Lowers 2021 Elite Status Requirements, United announced it would be lowering 2022 Premier Status qualifications for all members. United will make status easier through three main routes for next year.
Per United Airlines,
- No distance requirement: With United, there’s no distance requirement to earn status, so you can qualify with just PQP, or PQP and PQF, and every flight gets you closer to earning Premier benefits.
- Jump-start your journey toward Premier status: We’ll automatically add PQP to your MileagePlus account based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020. You’ll receive the PQP no later than February 1, 2021, to give you a head start on maintaining your current status or reaching a higher status level.
- Earn bonus PQP on your first three trips in January-March 2021: You can earn even more PQP with our most rewarding Premier qualification offer ever. Premier members will earn double PQP and members will earn an additional 50% PQP bonus for each of the first three trips you take with United from January 1 through March 31, 2021.
- Reach Premier 1K with PQP earned from your eligible credit card: For the 2021 program year, we’re also making changes to the way some of our credit cards earn PQP and qualify for Premier status. Now, PQP earned from your United MileagePlus credit card — including the United Explorer Card — count toward Premier 1K status when you meet the PQF requirement.
- Your PlusPoints benefits are getting an upgrade: If you have PlusPoints that expire on or after January 1, 2021, we have some good news. We’re extending PlusPoints by an additional six months beyond their expiration to give you more time to use your upgrade benefits on upcoming trips. This includes all PlusPoints earned from 2019 and 2020 activity. Eligible PlusPoints will be extended no later than December 15, 2020. Additionally, as a special promotion in 2021, we’re making it easier to earn extra PlusPoints after reaching Premier 1K status.
Here’s a breakdown of the new requirements:
For contrast, Delta Air Lines is carrying over all Medallion Qualification Miles earned in 2020 over to next year, however hasn’t lowered any requirements, which is fair given the generous rollover they’ll be extending to everyone.
What are your thoughts on United Airlines lowering 2022 Premier Status qualifications? Do you think other airlines will follow? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.