This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Recent airline news has altered future award redemption options to the Seychelles. In this post, I’ll cover ways to get to the Seychelles using Star Alliance members or member partners. Additional Star Alliance award flights to the Seychelles will open up with the recent news (via Lucky) that Ethiopian Airlines will join Star Alliance. Back in 2009, I redeemed 150,000 Delta SkyMiles on the Air France code share with Air Seychelles but this option will go away in early 2012.
We will likely return to the Seychelles so I’ve searched for other award flight options and posted the results below. Please leave a comment if there are other options and I will update the post.
Star Alliance Options To Seychelles
1) Ethiopian From ADD
- Ethiopian airlines is launching direct flights from ADD to SEZ and is a Star Alliance member
- They have a flight from IAD to ADD with a technical stop in Italy (apparently until they get the 787)
- You can redeem Star Alliance airline miles including United miles (award chart), US Airways (award chart) and ANA miles (award chart)
- The lowest mileage option I found from the USA is to use ANA’s distance based option to fly roundtrip from IAD to SEZ which requires only 90,000 using ANA miles in Business Class
- You can also fly one way to SEZ using United miles and then pick up an Air Seychelles flight to Mauritius or South Africa where you can redeem another one way on the return
2) Etihad From AUH
- Etihad flies direct from AUH to SEZ
- You can redeem ANA miles (award chart)
- Air New Zealand states that “members can earn and redeem rewards on Etihad Airways” but I wasn’t able to find Seychelles as a destination in the partner award chart)
3) Qatar From DOH
- Qatar flies direct from DOH to SEZ
- You can redeem BMI miles (partner award chart), United miles (partner award chart) and ANA miles (award chart)
4) Air Austral
- This airline is rumored to join Star Alliance in 2012
- They have recently announced flights to SEZ from Paris
The news that Ethiopian has joined Star Alliance has opened up a new route to the Seychelles using Star Alliance airline miles. We enjoyed our trip to the Seychelles and will likely return again, but this time we will fly on an airline other than Air Seychelles.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.