One of the Chase Freedom categories for the first quarter is gas stations. The first quarter bonus category is good until March 31, 2013, so you still have time to maximize this promotion and save a ton of money on gasoline while doing it. I really like using the Chase Freedom for each of the categories for two reasons. I earn 5x points on the card and it doesn’t come with any annual fee. The points are easily transferred to a Chase Ultimate Rewards account as long as you or someone in your household has a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Today, I did a nice little deal at Kroger to maximize points and saved a bunch of money on gas.
Gas Deal At Kroger Can Save Big
I did a similar deal last summer where I earned 8 points per dollar and saved$20 on gas by spending at Kroger. This deal is very similar.
- You get 2x points per dollar on the Kroger Plus card when you buy gift cards
- Every 100 points gets you $.10/ gallon at the pump
The Kroger fuel program used to allow up to $2 off each gallon of gas, but is now only letting you use $1 off per gallon.
- I bought $500 worth of gift cards for stores that I plan on shopping in anyway
- This earned me 1,000 points on the Kroger Plus card
- I was able to save $1.00 per gallon on gas = paid only $2.19 per gallon
- I put the gas on my Chase card and got 5 points per dollar, $40 = 200 points!
I saved $18 on gas and 200 extra points with the Chase Freedom card. What’s your strategy to maximize the first quarter Chase Freedom bonus?
If you already have a Chase Freedom card, you can activate your category bonus through March 14, 2013 HERE at Chase. If you don’t have a Chase Freedom yet, consider the application links below where you can earn a $100 cash back bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first 3 months of opening an account.