This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Amtrak is offering Guest Rewards members the chance to earn up to 30% bonus on purchased miles through September 30, 2013.
How To Buy Amtrak Points
- Purchase Amtrak Guest Rewards Points
- Receive bonus points on point purchases now through September 30, 2013
- Purchase 1,000 to 4,500 points – Receive 10% bonus (up to 450 points)
- Purchase 5,000 to 9,500 points – Receive 20% bonus (up to 1,900 points)
- Purchase 10,000 points – Receive 30% bonus (up to 3,000 points)
The cost of point varies by the amount of points you purchase. Let’s look at the cost per point based on maxing out each bonus category.
- Purchase 4,500 points + 450 bonus = $123.75 (.025 cents per point)
- Purchase 9,500 points + 1,900 bonus = $261.25 (.022 cents per point)
- Purchase 10,000 points + 3,000 bonus = $275 (.021 cents per point)
Terms And Conditions
Transactions must be completed between 12:01 AM ET August 12, 2013 and 11:59 PM ET September 30, 2013 to be eligible for the 10% to 30% bonus. Points may only be purchased online and not through the Service Center. Points will be posted to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account within 72 hours after your transaction is complete. Members may buy or receive up to a total of 10,000 points in a calendar year (Select Executive members have no annual limit). Purchased points do not count toward Select, Select Plus or Select Executive status. Buy Points transactions are final and non-refundable. All other terms and conditions of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program apply.
Amtrak Guest Rewards members who purchase miles through September 30, 2013 have the chance to earn up to a 30% bonus on the miles purchased.
Given the high cost of points, I wouldn’t go out and speculatively purchase points using this promotion. If you are close to an award threshold, I’d consider transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points if you have one of the Chase credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Bold® Business Card or the Ink Plus® Business Card. The points transfer over at a 1:1 ratio.
- Amtrak Brings Back Double Points Fall Promotion
- Acela First Class Rail Review
- Rail Drink – First Class Acela Happy Hour
Points, Miles & Martinis will earn a small referral credit for successful applications through the links in this post. We appreciate any support for Points, Miles & Martinis by using our affiliate links.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.