This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Now through December 31, 2013, American Airlines is offering a holiday bonus on purchased American AAdvantage miles. This is in addition to the tiered bonus they are currently running which brings the cost down to about 2 cents per mile.
The current bonus structure is as follows:
- Buy 6,000-14,000 miles and receive 1,800 bonus miles
- Buy 15,000-29,000 miles and receive 4,500 bonus miles
- Buy 30,000-44,000 miles and receive 9,000 bonus mile
- Buy 45,000-59,000 miles and receive 13,500 bonus mile
- Buy 60,000 miles and receive 18,000 bonus mile
However in addition to these bonus miles, one of the gift options from American is to receive an additional 20% bonus miles in January, which brings the cost down to about 2 cents per mile.
Through December 31, if you buy or gift 60,000 miles in a single transaction an e-mail will be sent to you in January 2014 to let you choose one of the following special holiday gifts, to make your travel even more rewarding.
- 20% additional bonus miles – In addition to the 30% bonus you can earn 20% extra bonus miles that will be deposited into your account by January 31, 2014
- 10% off flights on aa.com – Save 10% on flights on aa.com when you book by February 6, 2014, for travel starting February 18, 2014 through May 18, 2014
- 5,000-mile discount on award – Get a 5000-mile discount for up to three passengers, that’s a total saving of up to 15,000 miles when you book between January 24, 2014 and February 21, 2014, for travel between February 18, 2014 through May 18, 2014 (for flights originating in contiguous US or Canada)
- Three 500-mile upgrades – If you are an AAdvantage Elite Member you can enjoy an additional three 500-mile upgrades
I wouldn’t buy miles just to buy them however if you have a specific redemption in mind then this could be something to consider. However, another option is to take advantage of the 100% bonus US Airways Buy Miles promotion where you can get miles for 1.88 cents per mile, which will soon be American AAdvantage miles.
If you are looking for another way to earn US Airways or American Airlines miles (US Airways and American programs will merge at some point in the near future and mileage balances will combine) consider the US Airways Premier World MasterCard comes with 30,000 bonus miles after your first purchase.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.