Recently, Mrs. Weekly Flyer cashed in her Amex Membership Rewards points for some Home Depot gift cards. We are doing a small renovation project at home and she wanted to use the gift cards to buy some of the supplies for the renovation to save some cash. Maybe not the best value of points, but it worked for us in this particular situation.
American Express Has Rock Star Customer Service
She cashed in her points earned on her Business Platinum Card® from American Express to get some gift cards. The gift cards were then emailed to her linking to her Amex account to log in to get the serial numbers and pins to be used. Well, she used some of them and then unrelated, decided to cancel her card when the annual fee was due because she wasn’t really using the card to the full benefit of the annual fee and was planning on getting a different Amex card. I also have The Business Platinum Card® from American Express and keep it for the amazing benefits. So, she has access to my benefits such as Centurion Lounge access with my card.
Now, to the point of the story. When she canceled the card, the agent advised her that she needed to have used all her points (which she had) before closing the account or she would lose her points. Two weeks later, when she went to use the rest of her Home Depot gift cards, they were gone from her account. She wasn’t able to access them at all and knew that some still had money on them ~$95.
When she called Amex, she was pleasantly surprised that the first agent she talked to was very accommodating. The agent advised that the gift cards do disappear from the account when you close the card so, that Mrs. Weekly Flyer should have either used them up or printed them out prior to canceling her Business Platinum Card® from American Express. But, not only did the agent take the time to research the serial numbers for the gift cards but, went as far as accessing Home Depot’s website to see which of the gift cards had money on them and which had been used. Then, she sent the unused gift cards free of charge via UPS/Fedex!
Mrs. Weekly Flyer was so happy with the way that Amex handled this, as it was her error in not printing the gift cards out before closing her card. So often these days when you call a company, they are so quick to say, “sorry, that’s your problem,” whether it’s their fault or yours. This experience with Amex customer service was quite the opposite.
American Express really is awesome! Their customer service is top notch and their product offerings have some of the best benefits! Some of my favorite reasons to have Amex cards besides the rock star customer service are Amex Offers for You and Small Business Saturday.
If you are considering adding some Amex cards to your purse or wallet, consider these great offers:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express has lowered it’s spend requirement recently. You can earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express