Yesterday, we took at look at Marriott’s new cash and points, which is one of the great new improvements to the Marriott Rewards program! This is a great way to stretch points and you’ll also earn elite status credit on these bookings. Let’s look at the other 3 changes and how they will work.
Marriott: New Changes = Easier Elite Status
Here’s a rundown of all 4 changes the program announced:
- NEW Cash + Points: Coming in early 2016, the NEW Cash + Points will give Rewards members the flexibility to use a mix of cash and points to cover single or multi-night redemption stays.
- Points Advance: Available now! Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members are able to book redemption stays before having sufficient points to cover the cost of that stay.
- Points Sharing: Beginning Oct. 12, 2015 Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members will have the ability to share points with friends and family. Members can transfer up to 50,000 points from their account each year!
- Redemption Stay Credit: Starting Nov. 1, 2015 Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members will earn Elite night credit on redemption nights paid for with points.
Let’s look at what the other 3 new options mean for Marriott loyalists:
- Points Advance – This was previously an unpublished benefit, but Marriott is adding it as an official part of their program. I would always utilize this to book my trip sooner. As long as you earn or purchase the needed points at least 14 days prior to check-in, you’re good to go.
- Points Sharing – Before you could only share Marriott points with a spouse or domestic partner. Now you can share your points with any Rewards member you choose—up to a maximum of 50,000 per year.
- Redemption Stay Credit – This means it’ll be easier to earn Marriott Elite status! Even when you stay using points, it counts. Beginning November 1, 2015, we’ll provide your account Elite nights credit when you use points for stays. So you can save your cash, boost your status, and get more Rewards as a Silver, Gold or Platinum Elite member.
Overall, all really positive changes to Marriott’s program. If you frequent Marriott, these changes will definitely help you out! I know that it makes staying at Marriott a bit more enticing for me! How about you?