Delta offers two types of same day travel changes, which are Delta Same Day Standby and Same Day Confirmed. Both these options are available through reservations or the Medallion line, however you can also easily make these changes online through their website.
Delta Same Day Standby and Confirmed
Love racking up the Delta Miles?
If you are looking for more ways to earn Delta miles, consider The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card, The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card or The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card.
Delta Same Day Confirmed Rules:
- You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
- You may request a same-day flight change within 24 hours of your originally scheduled departure time; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
- If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
- If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
Delta Same Day Confirmed is complimentary for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members. A $75 fee applies for Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members.
Delta Same Day Standby Rules:
- Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available.
- You may request a same-day standby within 24 hours prior to the departure time of your new requested flight.
- Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members may only fly same-day standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight.
- Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight.
- No routing changes are allowed.
- Eligible same-day standby flights must be on the same day as the original flight, starting 12am of the same day to 11:59pm the same day.
- Change is only permitted based on the original ticketed paid cabin. For example, customers confirmed in RU class may only standby for flights in the Economy cabin.
Delta Same Day Standby is complimentary for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members. A $75 fee applies for Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members.
How To Do Same Day Standby or Confirmed Online:
To request a same day standby or confirmed online, you’ll need to start by checking in for current flight. As you can check-in 24 hours prior to your confirmed flight, that’s the earliest you can do either of these options.
When checking in online, instead of proceeding next, there’s an option that says “Change Flight” that you’ll want to select instead.
A warning will pop-up, that if you have a Delta Comfort + or Preferred seat, and choose to change your scheduled departure to a different flight, that you will not lose your confirmed seat until you are given a boarding pass for your new flight.
Once you agree, you can click OK, where you’ll be shown the options for the same day changes. You’ll see wither Stand By or Confirmed. In the below example, only Same Day Standby was available for these flights, due to the fares class, as the original purchased fare class must be available to confirm on a different flight for Main Cabin fares.
Once selected your desired new flight, you’ll be able to complete the check-in process. If you’re doing same day confirmed, your new flight will appear and you’ll be able to get a boarding pass for it.
If you’re doing same day standby, you won’t receive a boarding pass, however you’ll be able to print a “Seat Request Card”, which you’ll be able to board with at the gate, once you’re cleared. In airports, that have gate information display screens you’ll look to see yourself on the cleared list and can board at that time. In other airports, you’ll be called up by the gate agent.
Do you have any tips on using either Same Day Standby or Confirmed options online? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.