One of the best benefits of having an American Express card, is their American Express Return Protection service, where you’ll be refunded if the merchant won’t accept the item as a return for a variety of reasons.
Essentially, let’s say you bought an item of clothing from a store than has a 30 day return policy, and you attempt to return the item after those 30 days and the store won’t accept it, you can submit a claim to American Express and they’ll likely refund you. To get started, you can file your claim online here.
Return Protection offers you an extended return policy on eligible items charged entirely on an eligible American Express® Card. If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date of purchase and the merchant won’t take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price, up to $300 per item, excluding shipping and handling charges related to the item purchased, and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Card Member account per calendar year based on the date of purchase, not during the year the claim was filed.
How to File a Return Protection Request
- File a refund request online or by calling toll free 1-800-297-8019 within 90 days of your purchase. Before you file the request, make sure the merchant will not accept your request to return your item.
- We will review your request. You can check your request status anytime online or by calling 1-800-297-8019.
- If your request is deemed eligible, you may be asked to return the item to American Express. Please keep a copy of the shipping statement, so we can reimburse you for the shipping cost.
- If your request is approved, we will reimburse you for the purchase price of your item, up to $300, plus the cost of shipping the item to American Express.
American Express Cards that Offer Return Protection
- Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Hilton Honors™ Card from American Express
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Business Cards from American Express that Offer Return Protection
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
Have you used the American Express Return Protection benefit before on any of your cards? Feel free to share in the comments below.