This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
American Express Membership Rewards points now transfer to Starwood Preferred Guest at a 1:1 ratio, the same way that Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer to Marriott rewards at a 1:1 ratio, however for both of these options, neither is a great deal, and should only be used if needed to top off your account.
Previously the ratio was a 3:1 ratio from Amex to SPG, however even at the 1:1 ratio, it still is a lackluster transfer partner for American Express. In order to get started to transfer American Express Membership Rewards to Starwood Preferred Guest, you’ll need to login into your account to initiate the transfer.
Keep in mind once these transfer to SPG account, that’s it, they will not convert to Marriott at a 1:3 ratio, as accounts have already been updated post merger.
Transfer Terms and Conditions:
1. Enrollment in Starwood Preferred Guest®, Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards (“Loyalty Program”) is required.
2. American Express is not responsible for availability of accommodations, or any other rewards in the Loyalty Program
3. Guest rooms are subject to availability. Check award accommodation availability before transferring points by visiting www.spg.com, www.marriott.com and/or, www.ritzcarlton.com.
4. Once you have transferred Membership Rewards® points, they cannot be transferred back to your Membership Rewards account and become subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Loyalty Program found respectively at https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html, and https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi (for both Marriott and Ritz Carlton)
5. Transfer enough points into your Loyalty Program account to redeem for your award accommodations or top up your Loyalty Program account
6. Transfers are normally immediate, but please allow up to 48 hours for the transfer to be completed.
7. Please note that no bookings can be made until the Points are credited to your Loyalty Program account.
8. Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges may apply.
9. All redemption bookings are subject to the terms and conditions of the Loyalty Program found at www.members.marriott.com
What are your thoughts when it comes to the new American Express Membership Rewards to Starwood Preferred Guest ratio? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.