Looking to score free New York City MTA subway rides this summer? You’re in luck if you have a MasterCard as part of their Fareback Fridays promotion, as the NYC subways start to go contactless, meaning you can now just tap your credit or debit card, or smartphone rather have having to have a physical Metrocard.
Here’s how the new MTA contactless works:
- Your own contactless card
- Most banks and financial institutions already started issuing contactless cards. Contactless cards have this symbol on the front or back:
- If you don’t have a contactless card, you can request one from your bank or financial institution.
- Your own smart device
- Link your preferred payment methods to a digital wallet on your mobile phone or wearable.
- Many digital wallets can be used with OMNY today.
Offer Details: Every Friday in June and July, tap your contactless credit or debit Mastercard at an NYC MTA contactless terminal at any station between Grand Central and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center on the 4, 5, or 6 subway lines to pay for a single-fare subway ride, and Mastercard will refund your fare. *Limit two rides per cardholder per Friday. Certain terms and conditions apply.