Back in 2018 we shared how Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park Getting Deflagged and is now operating as an independent as The Wagner Hotel which is operated by Highgate Hotels.
Apparently the hotel hasn’t being doing well as an independent hotel and has been struggling to get business, which is why it will be returning to Marriott next month as part of the Luxury Collection, in hopes to attract Marriott loyalists.
Their new website is already up and live, however reservations aren’t currently being accepted nor has an official hotel category been announced.
This will be the second Luxury Collection in New York City, joining The Chatwal, which is a Marriott Category 8 property.
The Wagner does have a Club Lounge, but per the Marriott Bonvoy terms, Luxury Collection properties due not have to allow access for Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador Elites similar to Ritz-Carlton, so I wouldn’t count on receiving many perks when staying here.
Additionally, keep in mind this hotel has a hefty $45.90 resort fee per night which includes the following:
- Unlimited premium high-speed wireless Internet access for all devices
- Unlimited local, long distance phone calls
- 24-hour access to the fitness center
- Digital Newspaper with thousands of publications from around the world
- Two bottles of water in-room, replenished daily
- Evening turndown service upon request
- Complimentary Wagner Bicycle rentals
- Complimentary Coffee Hours at 2 West Restaurant from 5.30 am until 11 am daily
We’ll be sure to provide updates once booking through Marriott goes live, as well as what category The Wagner becomes and if they plan to do any renovations, as the property is in need of a major refresh.
See other New York City hotels that recently changed brands:
- Viceroy Transformed to Le Méridien New York, Central Park
- W New York to become The Maxwell Hotel, Tribute Portfolio
What are your thoughts on the Wagner joining the Marriott family again, this time as part of the Luxury Collection? Feel free to share in the comments below.